Tebucky Shermain Jones (born October 6, 1974) is a former American football safety in the National Football League. His professional career began when he was drafted out of Syracuse University in the first round of the 1998 NFL Draft by the New England Patriots. He also played for the Miami Dolphins and the New Orleans Saints.
|No. 24, 34|
|Born:||October 6, 1974|
New Britain, Connecticut
|Height:||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|Weight:||220 lb (100 kg)|
|High school:||New Britain (CT)|
|NFL Draft:||1998 / Round: 1 / Pick: 22|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics|
Jones is best known for his role on the 2001 Patriots team that won Super Bowl XXXVI. In the Super Bowl, in the fourth quarter with the St. Louis Rams in a do-or-die situation down 3-17 against the Patriots, Rams quarterback Kurt Warner fumbled on 4th-and-3 next to the goal line, and Tebucky Jones picked up the fumble and raced down the length of the field for what would have been a 97-yard touchdown, but the return was negated by a holding penalty on Patriots linebacker Willie McGinest.
On August 1, 2008, Jones was arrested at the Mohegan Sun casino in Uncasville, Connecticut after he was accused of allegedly making “inappropriate contact” with a woman in the lobby, and then punched her boyfriend in the face when he got involved.
His brother, James Jones, who also graduated from New Britain High School, currently works as a dean of students at Slade Middle School in New Britain.
His son, Tebucky Jones Jr., played college football at the University of Connecticut and Fordham University and was briefly a member the Tennessee Titans before being cut during the preseason.
- Lavin, James (2005). "Chapter 4: Two Super Bowl Victories in Three Seasons". Management Secrets of the New England Patriots: Achievements, Personnel, Teamwork, Motivation, and Competition. Pointer Press. p. 63. ISBN 9780976203957.
- "Super Bowl XXXVI Game Recap". NFL. February 4, 2002. Retrieved May 20, 2017.
- Holher, Bob (February 2, 2012). "Lawsuit won't change Jones's loyalties". Boston.com. Retrieved May 20, 2017.
- Lasko, Seth; Forde, Craig (January 29, 2012). "Only three players remain from the 2001 Patriots". BostonGlobe.com. Retrieved November 2, 2016.
- "New Britain High School Coaching Staff". newbritainsports.com. Retrieved November 2, 2016.
- Straszheim, Deborah (August 3, 2008). "Former New England Patriot arrested at casino". The Bulletin. Retrieved November 2, 2016.
- Conner, Desmond (August 8, 2009). "Tebucky Jones Jr. Commits To Huskies". Hartford Courant. Retrieved November 2, 2016.
- Powell, Nick (April 7, 2015). "Former NFL player Tebucky Jones hopes son, Fordham's Tebucky Jr., shakes small school stigma". NJ.com. Retrieved November 2, 2016.
- "Former UConn Stars Donald Thomas, Tebucky Jones Jr. Among NFL Cuts". Hartford Courant. Associated Press. August 31, 2015. Retrieved June 26, 2018.