Tavarres King (born July 14, 1990) is an American football wide receiver who is currently a free agent. He was drafted by the Denver Broncos in the fifth round of the 2013 NFL Draft. He played college football at Georgia.
King with the New York Giants in 2017.
|Born:||July 14, 1990|
Mount Airy, Georgia
|Height:||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Weight:||192 lb (87 kg)|
|High school:||Habersham Central|
(Mount Airy, Georgia)
|NFL Draft:||2013 / Round: 5 / Pick: 161|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2018|
King attended Habersham Central High School in Mount Airy, Georgia. He was the RISE Gatorade Georgia Football Player of the Year after finishing his senior season in 2007 with a state-record 1,632 receiving yards and 17 TDs on 99 receptions (16.5 average). He also set a then-school record with 42 catches for 700 yards and 10 touchdowns, and returned a kickoff and a punt for a score as a junior. He finished his career with 207 catches for 3,726 yards and 37 TDs. His father, Anthony King, once held all the rushing records at Habersham Central and later played at Clemson.
Considered a four-star recruit by Rivals.com, he was rated the No.15 wide receiver prospect in the nation. He accepted a scholarship from Georgia over offers from Clemson, Florida and Georgia Tech.
During his tenure at the University of Georgia, he caught 135 passes for 2,602 receiving yards and 20 touchdowns.
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yard dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert jump||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 0 in
|9 1⁄2 in
|4.47 s||1.57 s||2.53 s||4.33 s||6.91 s||36.5 in
|10 ft 3 in
|All values from NFL Combine|
King was claimed by the Carolina Panthers on October 21, 2013 after being waived by the Denver Broncos. He was cut August 30, 2014 for final roster cuts before the start of the 2014 season. He was signed to the team's practice squad the next day.
Tampa Bay BuccaneersEdit
On October 28, 2014, days after being released by Jacksonville when they promoted Peyton Thompson to their active roster, Tampa Bay worked out several wide receivers and signed King to their practice squad. On September 4, 2015, King was released by the Bucs on the final cuts toward the 53-man roster.
New York GiantsEdit
On September 30, 2015, King was added to the practice squad of the New York Giants. On January 4, 2016, King signed a reserve/future contract with the Giants. On January 8, 2017, King scored a touchdown on a 41-yard pass from Eli Manning in the third quarter of the Giants' game against the Green Bay Packers at Lambeau Field in the Wild Card Round of the 2016-17 NFL playoffs. King's score made the game a 2-point game, but the Giants would eventually lose to the Packers 38-13. After the Giants signed wide receiver Brandon Marshall in the 2017 offseason, King changed his jersey number from #15 to #12.
On September 18, 2017, King was released by the Giants. He was re-signed on October 9, 2017 after injuries to multiple receivers on the team. He suffered a concussion in Week 15 and was placed on injured reserve on December 30, 2017, yet he still managed to rack up 240 receiving yards before his injury.
- http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/tavarres-king?id=2539235 King NFL Combine
- http://www.brandonsun.com/sports/football/denver-broncos-select-georgia-wide-receiver-tavarres-king-in-fifth-round-of-draft-205014691.html?thx=y[permanent dead link]
- Strickland, Bryan (August 31, 2014). "Panthers sign 10 to practice squad". Panthers.com. Archived from the original on March 20, 2016. Retrieved September 2, 2014.
- "Jaguars make several roster moves". Jacksonville Jaguars. September 16, 2014. Archived from the original on October 10, 2017. Retrieved September 16, 2014.
- White, R.J. "Jaguars waive Tavarres King, sign Peyton Thompson". CBS Sports. Retrieved October 26, 2014.
- "Buccaneers worked out some big wide outs; Sign Tavarres King to P/S". yardbarker.com. October 28, 2014. Retrieved October 28, 2014.
- "Bucs cut former starting guard Patrick Omameh". nbcsports.com. September 5, 2015. Retrieved September 11, 2015.
- Eisen, Michael (September 30, 2015). "Giants add WR Tavarres King, QB G.J. Kinne to practice squad". Giants.com. Archived from the original on January 12, 2016. Retrieved October 1, 2015.
- Raanan, Jordan (January 4, 2016). "Giants sign 6 players to reserve/future contracts". NJ.com. Retrieved January 11, 2016.
- Smolensky, Connor (January 8, 2017). "Tavarres King catches TD for Giants in playoffs". dawgnation.com. Retrieved January 8, 2017.
- Eisen, Michael (September 18, 2017). "LB Curtis Grant promoted from practice squad; WR Tavarres King waived". Giants.com.
- Eisen, Michael (October 9, 2017). "Odell Beckham Jr. placed on IR; Giants announce roster moves". Giants.com. Archived from the original on November 6, 2017. Retrieved October 9, 2017.
- Eisen, Michael (December 30, 2017). "Roster Moves: OT Hart Waived/Injured, WR King to IR, Three promoted from practice squad". Giants.com. Archived from the original on January 1, 2018.
- "Vikings Sign Former Giants WR Tavarres King". Vikings.com. April 5, 2018.
- "Vikings Announce Roster Moves, Set Initial 53-Man Roster". Vikings.com. September 1, 2018.