Tanami, Northern Territory
|Population||73 (2016 census)|
|• Density||0.001037/km2 (0.002685/sq mi)|
|Established||4 April 2007|
|Area||70,407 km2 (27,184.3 sq mi)|
|Time zone||ACST (UTC+9:30)|
|Location||844 km (524 mi) S of Darwin City|
|LGA(s)||Central Desert Region |
The locality consists of the following land in the south-west portion of the Tanami Desert:
- The following land along the Western Australian border (from north to south) - the Yingualyalya Aboriginal Land Trust, the Purta Aboriginal Land Trust, the Mount Frederick Aboriginal Land Trust, the Mount Frederick (No. 2) Aboriginal Land Trust, the Mangkururrpa Aboriginal Land Trust and the Yiningarra Aboriginal Land Trust.
- the Suplejack pastoral lease and
- the portion of the Central Desert Aboriginal Land Trust located to the immediate east of the above parcels of land.
The word Tanami, which is believed to an Aboriginal word whose meaning is not known, was first used by the prospector, Alan Davidson, in 1889 or 1890. Its boundaries and name were gazetted on 4 April 2007.
The Tanami Road passes through the locality from Yuendumu in the south to the north-west on its way to Halls Creek connecting to places such as The Granites gold mine and the former Rabbit Flat roadhouse.
- "Place Names Register Extract for Tanami". NT Place Names Register. Northern Territory Government. Retrieved 3 June 2019.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Tanami (State Suburb)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 3 June 2019.
- "Tanami East Postcode". postcode-finders.com.au. Retrieved 3 June 2019.
- "Tanami". Australia,s Guide. Australias Guide Pty Ltd. Retrieved 18 January 2020.
- "Division of Stuart". Northern Territory Electoral Commission. Retrieved 3 June 2019.
- "Federal electoral division of Lingiari". Australian Electoral Commission. Retrieved 3 June 2019.
- "Monthly climate statistics: Summary statistics RABBIT FLAT (nearest weather station with recent published data)". Commonwealth of Australia , Bureau of Meteorology. Retrieved 4 October 2019.
- "Tanami". NT Atlas and Spatial Data Directory. Northern Territory Government. Retrieved 3 June 2019.
- "Localities within Central Desert Shire (sic) (map)" (PDF). Northern Territory Government. 2 April 2007. Retrieved 3 June 2019.
- "Localities within the Tanami sub-region (CP 5083)". NT Place Names Register. Northern Territory Government. Retrieved 13 January 2020.
- "Northern Territory Pastoral Properties" (PDF). Northern Territory Government. 2003. Archived from the original (PDF) on 9 April 2015. Retrieved 13 January 2020.
- Upgrading the Tanami Road - Economic Impact Study (PDF), Cummings Economics, October 2011, pp. 8–10, retrieved 4 June 2019