Tammy and the Doctor
Tammy and the Doctor is a 1963 eastmancolor romantic comedy film directed by Harry Keller and starring Sandra Dee as Tambrey "Tammy" Tyree and Peter Fonda (in his film debut) as Dr. Mark Cheswick. It is the third of the four Tammy films.
|Tammy and the Doctor|
|Directed by||Harry Keller|
|Produced by||Ross Hunter|
|Written by||Oscar Brodney|
|Music by||Frank Skinner|
|Edited by||Milton Carruth|
Ross Hunter Productions
|Distributed by||Universal Pictures|
|Box office||$2,000,000 (US/ Canada)|
Mrs. Call requires surgery in Los Angeles and is accompanied there by her young companion Tammy, a country girl from Mississippi, who later lands a job with the hospital staff. Tammy is attracted to handsome Dr. Mark Cheswick, whose superior, Dr. Bentley, and head nurse Rachel Coleman aren't sure that romance is a good idea.
- Sandra Dee as Tambrey "Tammy" Tyree
- Peter Fonda as Dr. Mark Cheswick
- Macdonald Carey as Dr. Wayne Bentley
- Beulah Bondi as Mrs. Call
- Margaret Lindsay as Rachel Coleman
- Reginald Owen as Jason Tripp
- Alice Pearce as Millie
- Adam West as Dr. Eric Hassler
- Joan Marshall as Vera
- Stanley Clements as Wally Day
- Doodles Weaver as Traction patient
- Mitzi Hoag as Pamela
Ross Hunter liked to develop new talent and the movie features 23 actors who had never made a film before. Among them was Peter Fonda, who had enjoyed critical acclaim for his performance in Blood, Sweat and Stanley Poole. Hunter signed Peter Fonda to a seven years contract. Filmink magazine argued Fonda at this stage of his career was "a sort of poor man’s James Stewart – tall, gangly, boy next door, virginal looks, etc. (And Stewart was, famously, best friends with Fonda’s father, Henry)."
- "Top Rental Features of 1963", Variety, 8 January 1964 p 71. Please note figures are rentals as opposed to total gross.
- "Tammy and the Doctor". FilmAffinity. filmaffinity.com. Retrieved 28 December 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Tammy and the Doctor". AFI. afi.com. Retrieved 28 December 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "FILMLAND EVENTS: Nick Adams Signs New Picture Deal" Los Angeles Times 29 Dec 1961: 20.
- "Looking at Hollywood: Ross Hunter Gives New Actors Chance" Hopper, Hedda. Chicago Daily Tribune 26 June 1962: a1.
- "FILMMAKER TALKS ABOUT 5 PROJECTS: Hunter, Here in Visit, Tells of MacDonald-Eddy Plan 'Tammy Takes Over' Is Next Joanne Woodward to Star British Film Opens Today 7 Vie for Golden Laurel Albert Lamorisse Visits" By HOWARD THOMPSON. New York Times 16 May 1962: 33.
- Vagg, Stephen (October 26, 2019). "Peter Fonda – 10 Phases of Acting". Filmink.