Tambov State Technical University is a state institution of higher learning in Tambov, Russia. It was founded in 1958 and specializes in technical sciences (including information and communication technologies) and chemical, electronic, and agricultural engineering.
Тамбовский государственный технический университет
|Tambov Institute of Chemical Engineering|
The university was founded in 1958 as the Tambov branch of the Moscow Institute of Chemical Engineering. In 1965, it achieved autonomous status and became the Tambov Institute of Chemical Engineering (TICE). It was renamed Tambov State Technical University (TSTU) in 1993. The announcement by Minister of Education and Science Dmitry Livanov of Russian government plans for an eventual merger of the university with Tambov State University was met with a protest rally and march by TSTU students, parents and faculty in October 2012.
TSTU has 7000 students enrolled in 30 undergraduate and postgraduate programs. Its academic structure encompasses four institutes, ten faculties, two innovation technology centers, the Tambov Regional Center for New Information Technologies, and multiple smaller research centers and laboratories. The university publishes its own theoretical and applied multi-disciplinary, peer-reviewed journal, Transactions of the TSTU (Вестник ТГТУ).
According to the university, it has over 400 international students from 50 countries. Its Centre for International Specialist Training (CIST) runs a specialist training course, "English for Students, Lecturers and Administrators of Technical Universities", developed within the framework of TEMPUS (Trans-European Mobility Programme for University Studies). CIST also developed two five-year degree programs using English as the medium of instruction ("Computer-Aided Design Systems" and "Economics and Business Management"), which enrolled their first student cohorts in 2005.
- Russia Energy Group of Companies. Partners. Retrieved 3 June 2013.
- RIA Novosti (16 October 2012). "Ливанов встретится с настроенными против объединения студентами ТГТУ" ("Livanov meets with students opposed to TSTU merger"). Retrieved 3 June 2013 (in Russian).
- Dvoretskaya, E.; Dvoretsky, D.; Chernyshov, N. (2005). "Introduction of Bilingual Educational Programs in Tambov". Bi- and Multilingual Universities: Challenges for the Future, pp. 1-5. University of Helsinki conference, 1–3 September 2005. Retrieved 3 June 2013.
- Tambov State Technical University. About the University. Retrieved 3 June 2013.
- Shelenkova, Irina and Mishchenko, Elena (2012). "Innovative Language Curricula at Tambov State Technical University". Saratov State Technical University, International Conference on Information Technologies, International Conference on Information Technologies 2012. Retrieved 3 June 2013.
- Official website (English version)