Tamara Macushla Munzner (born 1969) is an American-Canadian scientist. She is an expert in information visualization who works as a professor of computer science at the University of British Columbia (UBC).
|Alma mater||Stanford University|
|Fields||Computer Science, Information Visualization|
|Institutions||University of Minnesota|
University of British Columbia
|Doctoral advisor||Pat Hanrahan|
Munzner earned a bachelor's degree in computer science from Stanford University in 1991, then worked at The Geometry Center at the University of Minnesota from 1991 to 1995. There, she helped produce two mathematical visualization videos, one about turning spheres inside-out and another about the different topological structures that a three-dimensional universe could have. She returned to Stanford for her graduate studies, completing her Ph.D. in 2000 under the supervision of Pat Hanrahan. Her thesis research involved using hyperbolic geometry to visualize large graphs. She then became a research scientist at the Compaq Systems Research Center, before joining the UBC faculty in 2002.
Munzner is the author of the book Visualization Analysis and Design (CRC Press, 2014). She was program co-chair of the InfoVis conference in 2003 and 2004, and of EuroVis in 2009 and 2010. Since 2012 she has been the chair of the executive committee of IEEE Visualization, the umbrella event for InfoVis. She was a keynote speaker at the International Symposium on Graph Drawing in 2013.
- Munzner, Tamara. "Just voted for the first time as a new Canadian citizen - democracy FTW!". Twitter. Retrieved 12 December 2019.
- Tamara Munzner biography, retrieved 2017-07-05
- Curriculum vitae, retrieved 2015-07-30.
- Salvo, Natalie (May 19, 2015), "Professor Tamara Munzner and CSIRO's Christian Stolte discuss how to create great visualizations", The AU Interview, The AU Review.
- Tamara Munzner at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Hardenbergh, Jan (July 22, 2002), "Interview with Tamara Munzner", Reports from SIGGRAPH 2002, ACM SIGGRAPH.
- Satzer, William J. (March 17, 2015), "Review of Visualization Analysis and Design", MAA Reviews, Mathematical Association of America.