Active discussions
WikiProject Physics (Rated Start-class, Low-importance)
This article is within the scope of WikiProject Physics, a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of Physics on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see a list of open tasks.
Start-Class article Start  This article has been rated as Start-Class on the project's quality scale.
 Low  This article has been rated as Low-importance on the project's importance scale.


I've changed this (I'm editing the contents of the German loanwords category). This word isn't in any English language dictionary, so it isn't a loanword; but I don't know that it's a German term either. Is the gadget that "the fusion capsule is held inside" called a Hohlraum in German? Or is it a word appropriated for this meaning by those who work in this area (a neologism, in that case)? Any ideas? Moonraker12 (talk) 17:59, 24 June 2009 (UTC)

As far as I know, (1) Hohlraum is a legitimate German word that might be used in any context, (2) it is also used in German in the context of laser fusion, and (3) it is standard technical jargon in English. --Art Carlson (talk) 20:27, 24 June 2009 (UTC)
Ah! Thanks... In light of your point (2) I'll move it to the "Glossary of German terms" category. Moonraker12 (talk) 01:34, 1 July 2009 (UTC)
Although the word is not yet officially a loanword (i.e. not in the current English dictionary editions), it probably will be soon, considering the current very active research into inertial confinement fusion (ICF). Googling "hohlraum" shows that it is most often not capitalized in the English technical literature about ICF, suggesting that it is taking the same route as other German nouns such as sauerkraut, kindergarten, and angst once did. Is it OK for Wikipedia to take a somewhat pioneering role in this process? Piperh (talk) 17:11, 29 January 2010 (UTC)

"Hohlraum" in German denotes any mathematical, physical, or natural form of "hollow space" or "cavity", so it can be used for any kind of cavity, including the one called "hohlraum" in English... -- megA (talk) 18:29, 29 January 2010 (UTC)


The description states that "This idealized cavity can be approximated in practice by making a small perforation in the wall of a hollow container of any opaque material.", though both the photo in the article, and my quick research, shows a small, hollow cylinder.

Things that need answering
✓ ✗ to do or answer     (use to say shouldn't be done and give reason)
clarify "small perforation in the wall of a hollow container of any opaque material
how does it work (i.e. how does it emit radiation at the blackbody temperature? Where does this happen?)
if it's any material, why do most sources show gold? (one source mentions lead)

Zephalis (talk) 03:09, 7 January 2016 (UTC)

Return to "Hohlraum" page.