Talento de Barrio
Talento de Barrio (English: Hood Talent) is a film released on October 10, 2008 by Maya Entertainment, starring Daddy Yankee. The film was directed by José Iván Santiago, and written by George Rivera and Ángel M. Sanjurjo, with additional material by Edgar Soberón Torchia. It was also the first movie Daddy Yankee co-produced. In the United States it was a major success, although it was not launched in all the country. It was shown in the major cities like New York City, Los Angeles, and some parts of New Jersey.
|Talento de barrio|
Promotional film poster
|Directed by||José Iván Santiago|
|Produced by||George Rivera|
Ángel M. Sanjurjo
|Written by||George Rivera|
Ángel M. Sanjurjo
Edgar Soberón Torchia
|Music by||Sam FISH Fisher (under pseudonym Samuel López)|
|Cinematography||Leslie Colombani Jr.|
|Edited by||José Iván Santiago|
|Distributed by||Maya Entertainment|
In Latin America, it was shown in Puerto Rico and Dominican Republic. The DVD of the movie was released in all the countries of Latin America. Big sales went on in Central America, mostly in El Salvador.
Ramón Ayala (better known as Daddy Yankee) stars as Edgar Dinero, a young man from the streets of Puerto Rico who gets tangled between the thug life of his neighborhood and the beat of his neighborhood. On that path Edgar encounters disruption among his crew men, while falling in love with an uptown girl from whom Dinero must conceal his strong ties with the violent neighborhood underworld.
Dinero's first studio recording in New York City doesn't go well reflecting he has no energy, and sounding like he hasn't eaten. The uptown girl shows up in NYC and then he begins making strong recordings.
Multiple gunshot scenes happen throughout the movie, in Puerto Rico and in New York City.
The movie was mostly shot in the Barriada Morales, a marginalized community, that reflects thug life in Caguas, Puerto Rico. Other places where filming took place were at Puerto Nuevo, in San Juan, and in New York City.
- Daddy Yankee - Edgar "Dinero"
- Maestro - Jeico
- Katiria Soto - Soribel
- César Farrait - Wichy
- Angélica Alcaide - Natasha
- Norma Colón - Edgar's mother
- Norman Santiago - Matías
- Rafael Acevedo - Matías's partner
- Welmo E. Romero-Joseph - Leo
- Rey Pirín - Javier
- Pepe Fuentes - Don Joaquín
- Moncho Conde - Popó
- Gringo - Angelo
- Eric Rodríguez - Wito
- Alexandra Cheron - Carolina
- Glory - Tata
- Zojaira Martínez - Ana
- Julio Voltio - Himself
- Eddie Dee - Jay
- Friend Zone Guy - Gazoo Star "El Jamón"
- Pedro Prez
A soundtrack was released, featuring music by Daddy Yankee written only for the film. The soundtrack, however, does not include the film score, composed by Sam FISH Fisher. The soundtrack features four singles "Pose", "Somos de Calle", "¿Qué Tengo Que Hacer?", and "Llamado de Emergencia". The music derives from Daddy Yankee's typical reggaeton style.
Talento de Barrio was released in the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico on November 25, 2008 on DVD and Blu-ray Disc formats. The film is featured in Spanish and is subtitled in English on both the DVD and Blu-ray Disc versions.
The film had positive reviews in Puerto Rico. On Rotten Tomatoes, Talento de Barrio has received negative reviews, garnering 0% approval. V.A. Musetto of New York Post said in his review for the film: "Reggaeton star Daddy Yankee holds his own in his big-screen acting debut, Talento de Barrio. Too bad he's saddled with a generic script, based loosely on his own life". Monika Fabian of Time Out New York said: "Just as reggaetón is a fusion of hip-hop, reggae and traditional Puerto Rican rhythms, Talento de Barrio is also a mixture, albeit a woefully derivative one, of 8 Mile, Menace II Society and Carlito's Way."
- "Talento de barrio" – via www.imdb.com.
- "Maya Entertainment | Talento de barrio".
- "Talento de Barrio". Fandango.
- Rivera Quintero, Marcia (2014), El vuelo de la esperanza : Proyecto de las Comunidades Especiales Puerto Rico, 1997-2004 (Primera edición ed.), San Juan, Puerto Rico Fundación Sila M. Calderón, p. 273, ISBN 978-0-9820806-1-0
- "126 Individuals Indicted For Drug Trafficking In The Municipality Of Caguas". www.justice.gov. April 8, 2015.
- Amazon.com, Talento de barrio - Blu-ray Disc details, Accessed December 23, 2008
- FYE.com, Talento de barrio, DVD, Accessed on December 23, 2008
- FYE.com, Talento de barrio, Blu-ray Disc, Accessed on December 23, 2008
- "Talento de Barrio (2008)" – via www.rottentomatoes.com.
- Official website
- Talento de Barrio on IMDb
- Maya Entertainment - Talento de barrio - Press Kit - (English/Spanish) (PDF Format)
- Talento de barrio on CorrienteLatina