Education and careerEdit
Nishizeki was born in 1947 in Fukushima, and was a student at Tohoku University, earning a bachelor's degree in 1969, a master's in 1971, and a doctorate in 1974. He continued at Tohoku as a faculty member, and became a full professor there in 1988. He was the Dean of Graduate School of Information Sciences, Tohoku University from April 2008 to March 2010. He retired in 2010, becoming a professor emeritus at Tohoku University, but continued teaching as a professor at Kwansei Gakuin University until March 2015. He was an Auditor of Japan Advanced Institute of Science and Technology from April 2016 to October 2018.
Nishizeki has made significant contributions to algorithms for series–parallel graphs, finding cliques in sparse graphs, planarity testing and the secret sharing with any access structure. He is the co-author of two books on planar graphs and graph drawing.
In 1990, Nishizeki founded the annual International Symposium on Algorithms and Computation (ISAAC).
Awards and honorsEdit
At the 18th ISAAC symposium, in 2007, a workshop was held in honor of his 60th birthday.
In 1996, he became a life fellow of the IEEE "for contributions to graph algorithms with applications to physical design of electronic systems." In 1996 he was selected as a fellow of the Association for Computing Machinery "for contributions to the design and analysis of efficient algorithms for planar graphs, network flows and VLSI routing". Nishizeki is also a foreign fellow of the Bangladesh Academy of Sciences; one of his students and frequent co-authors, Md. Saidur Rahman, is from Bangladesh.
- Nishizeki, T.; Chiba, N. (1988), Planar Graphs: Theory and Algorithms, North-Holland Mathematics Studies, 140, North-Holland, ISBN 978-0-444-70212-8, MR 0941967.
- Nishizeki, Takao; Rahman, Md. Saidur (2004), Planar Graph Drawing, Lecture Notes Series on Computing, 12, World Scientific, doi:10.1142/5648, ISBN 978-981-256-033-9, MR 2112244.
- Research articles
- Takamizawa, K.; Nishizeki, T.; Saito, N. (1982), "Linear-time computability of combinatorial problems on series–parallel graphs", Journal of the ACM, 29 (3): 623–641, doi:10.1145/322326.322328, MR 0666771, S2CID 16082154.
- Chiba, Norishige; Nishizeki, Takao (1985), "Arboricity and subgraph listing algorithms", SIAM Journal on Computing, 14 (1): 210–223, doi:10.1137/0214017, MR 0774940.
- Chiba, Norishige; Nishizeki, Takao; Abe, Shigenobu; Ozawa, Takao (1985), "A linear algorithm for embedding planar graphs using PQ-trees", Journal of Computer and System Sciences, 30 (1): 54–76, doi:10.1016/0022-0000(85)90004-2, MR 0788831.
- Ito, Mitsuru; Saito, Akira; Nishizeki, Takao (1989), "Secret sharing scheme realizing general access structure", Electronics and Communications in Japan (Part III: Fundamental Electronic Science), 72 (9): 56–64, doi:10.1002/ecjc.4430720906.
- Biography, Tohoku University, retrieved 2015-03-19.
- Faculty profile, Kwansei Gakuin University, retrieved 2015-03-19.
- Takamizawa, Nishizeki & Saito (1982).
- Chiba & Nishizeki (1985).
- Chiba et al. (1985).
- Nishizeki & Chiba (1988); Nishizeki & Rahman (2004).
- ISAAC Day 1, Joachim Gudmundsson, dense outliers, December 21, 2007, retrieved 2015-03-19.
- 1995 New Fellows, IEEE Japan Section, retrieved 2015-03-19.
- ACM Fellow award citation, retrieved 2015-03-19.
- Member profile, Bangladesh Academy of Sciences, retrieved 2015-03-20.