Noida International Airport(Redirected from Taj International Airport)
The Noida International Airport is a proposed international airport to be constructed in Jewar (56 kilometres (35 mi) from Noida) in Gautam Budh Nagar district of Uttar Pradesh. The Yamuna Expressway Industrial Development Authority (YEIDA) will be the implementing agency on behalf of the Uttar Pradesh State Government. The airport is to be developed on Public Private Partnership model (PPP) The airport, expected to be completed by 2022, will be able to handle 5 million passengers per annum (MPA) initially and upto 60 MPA after expansion over 30 years.
|Noida International Airport|
|Location||Jewar, Uttar Pradesh|
The project site is 72 kilometres (45 mi) from Indira Gandhi International Airport; 40 km from Noida, Faridabad and Ghaziabad, about 28 km from Greater Noida, 65 km from Gurgaon and 130 km from Agra. It will connect to the Yamuna Expressway, allowing domestic and international tourists to reach Agra, Mathura and Vrindavan.
The UP government is planning to lay the foundation stone of Phase 1 of this project by October 2018. YEIDA has identified 5,000 hectares for the project, out of which 240 hectares belongs to the state government and rest is with private owners. YEIDA will acquire 1,327 hectares in the first phase for construction of terminal buildings and runways. Bids for the airport are expected to be invited by end 2018.
The project was first proposed in 2001 by then Uttar Pradesh chief minister Rajnath Singh as a Greenfield Taj International and aviation Hub (TIAH) at Jewar village near Greater Noida, near the Yamuna Expressway. The Central government cleared the techno-feasibility report for setting up TIAH in April 2003, It was to be built at an approximate cost of Rs 5000 crore (Rs 50 million) by the year 2007-08. The project was put on hold during the UPA regime because the project site was within 150 kilometres of an existing greenfield airport in Delhi. This site was within 72 kilometres of Indira Gandhi International Airport(IGI), Delhi. Its operators, the GMR Group had protested against plans for another international airport within 150 kilometres of the existing Delhi airport, claiming that it would impact traffic and revenue generation. GMR has right of first refusal (RoFR) on new airport within 150 kilometres of the existing Delhi airport. The RoFR was to ensure that GMR gets preference in bidding for the Greater Noida airport in case its bid is within 10% of the highest bidder.
When the Akhilesh Yadav led government was formed in Uttar Pradesh in 2012, it contemplated shelving the project while proposing a new international airport in Agra. In June 2013, the State Government finalized on Kurikupa near Hirangaon, Tundla in Firozabad district as site for the proposed airport. In January 2014, the Defence Ministry raised some objections to the site near Tundla. The state government allocated land near Etmadpur for the proposed airport in November 2014. 
In 2014, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) was voted to power at the Centre and the project was again shifted back to Jewar. The civil aviation ministry cleared the proposal for the new airport to be set up on 2,200 acres of land in June 2015 The Union Ministry of Defence (moD) cleared the project in June 2016. The Ministry of Civil Aviation (MoCA) on Tuesday gave in-principle approval to the Uttar Pradesh government to build the airport in May 2018. In July 2017, the Union Chief Secretary for Aviation warned Uttar Pradesh government to expedite the planning process as Hisar Airport was also pushing for its competing union cabinet approval for another airport for the NCR, thus prolonging the return on investment for both airports due to still-feasible-but-diluted viability for both.
- "UP govt revives Jewar airport project, survey to start today". Daily News Analysis. Retrieved 14 May 2017.
- "New Greenfield Noida International Airport at Jewar picking momentum- Progress Report". Press Information Bureau. 3 April 2018. Retrieved 11 May 2018.
- "Noida International Airport project to be completed by 2022". Business Today. 9 May 2018. Retrieved 11 May 2018.
- "Greater Noida Airport foundation stone to be laid by Oct: Govt". The Times of India. 3 April 2018. Retrieved 11 May 2018.
- "Tenders for Jewar airport by year-end". The Times of India. 11 May 2018. Retrieved 11 May 2018.
- "Noida: Three governments, countless proposals later, Jewar finally to get airport". Hindustan Times. 24 June 2017. Retrieved 10 May 2018.
- "New initiatives". Greater Noida Authority. Archived from the original on 2011-12-19.
- "Greater Noida's Jewar airport awaits nod from civil aviation ministry". The Times of India. 8 April 2017. Retrieved 10 May 2018.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2015-04-02. Retrieved 2015-07-29.
- "Jewar to take wing as ministry clears second NCR Airport". Times of India. Indiatimes.com. June 26, 2015.
- Aviation secy tells UP to form Jewar airport SPV, Yamuna Authority’s hands full, money Control News, 10 July 2017.