Taiwan Affairs Office
The Taiwan Affairs Office of the State Council is an administrative agency under the State Council of Mainland China. It is responsible for setting and implementing guidelines and policies related to Taiwan, as stipulated by the Central Committee of the Communist Party of China and the State Council itself.
Guówùyuàn Táiwān Shìwù Bàngōngshì
|Parent agency||Central Leading Group for Taiwan Affairs|
|Taiwan Affairs Office|
According to the arrangement and authorization of the State Council, the office takes charge of relevant preparations for negotiations and agreements with what Mainland China calls the "Taiwan authorities" (i.e., the government of the Republic of China and its authorized government organizations). The agency administers and coordinates direct links in mail, transport and trade across the Taiwan Strait, takes charge of the media and publicity work related to Taiwan, censors and releases news and information concerning Taiwan affairs, and handles major incidents related to Taiwan.
The Taiwan Affairs Council is also responsible for the coordination with overall planning the economic relations and trade related to Taiwan and exchanges and cooperation in such areas as finance, culture, academic research, sports, science and technology, health, and others with the departments concerned. It also manages personnel exchange, observations and symposia between the two sides and relevant work on international conferences involving Taiwan.
Members of the Taiwan Affairs Office are simultaneously members of the Communist Party of China Central Committee and Taiwan Task Office. The latter title is used when dealing with officials in Taiwan on a party-to-party basis.
- Department of Secretary
- Department of Personnel
- Department of Integration
- Department of Research
- Department of Information
- Department of Economy
- Department of Hong Kong and Macau Affairs Related to Taiwan
- Department of Exchange
- Department of Law and Regulation
- Department of Complaints and Coordination
- CPC Committee Office of the Taiwan Affairs Office
List of directorsEdit
|Directors of the Central Committee Taiwan Affairs Office|
|Name||Duration of Office|
|Directors of the State Council Taiwan Affairs Office|
|Chen Yunlin||January 1997 – June 2008|
|Wang Yi||September 2008 – 17 March 2013|
|Zhang Zhijun||17 March 2013 – 21 March 2018|
|Liu Jieyi||21 March 2018 — Incumbent|
- Cross-Strait relations, background
- Mainland Affairs Council, counterpart body in Taiwan
- Association for Relations Across the Taiwan Straits, semi-official contact body
- Straits Exchange Foundation, counterpart semi-official contact body in Taiwan
- Taiwan Province, People's Republic of China
- Hong Kong and Macau Affairs Office
- Ministry of Unification (South Korea)
- Minister of Intra-German Relations
- Blanchard, Ben (25 Jun 2016). "China says has stopped communication mechanism with Taiwan". Reuters. Retrieved 26 June 2016.