Taibon Agordino is a comune (municipality) in the province of Belluno in the Italian region of Veneto, located about 100 kilometres (62 mi) north of Venice and about 25 kilometres (16 mi) northwest of Belluno. As of 31 December 2004, it had a population of 1,790 and an area of 90.4 square kilometres (34.9 sq mi).
|Comune di Taibon Agordino|
|Province||Province of Belluno (BL)|
|• Total||90.4 km2 (34.9 sq mi)|
|Elevation||618 m (2,028 ft)|
|• Density||20/km2 (51/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
Many of the homes in Taibon have descended within families. It is common for younger generations to move out of the valley to a larger city for the purpose of building a career and subsequently return for retirement. Taibon was once populated by homesteaders who were self-sufficient, making their own dairy products, sausage, and polenta as their source of carbohydrates. Today these family homes are treasured because of the family history they represent, but also because they are adjacent to some of the best trekking, skiing, and road cycling in the world.
Points of interestEdit
- Giardino Alpino "Antonio Segni", an alpine botanical garden
- Bar Savio, a local bar: this bar, as most in Italy, serves cappuccino, various wines and beers.
- Taibon has three bars including the one mentioned above, a clothing store, and a bike shop.
Today's economy in Taibon is based on tourism in the Dolomite mountains and the Luxottica plant located in nearby Agordo. This eyeglass fabrication facility employs 3,500 people, making glasses for such companies as Ray Ban, Persol, and Oakley.
- "Superficie di Comuni Province e Regioni italiane al 9 ottobre 2011". Italian National Institute of Statistics. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- "Popolazione Residente al 1° Gennaio 2018". Italian National Institute of Statistics. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- All demographics and other statistics: Italian statistical institute Istat.