Tadiran refers to a former Israeli conglomerate, which was founded in 1962 by the merger of two companies, Tadir and Ran (itself founded as a batteries manufacturer in 1932). The name of the company is a joining of both companies’ names.
Through the years the company had interests in electronics, home appliances (refrigeration and air conditioning), telecommunications, batteries, medical systems and defence electronics.
The company does not exist as a conglomerate anymore. The brand name survived through the former conglomerate's many spin-offs and sold divisions. They include:
- Tadiran Telecom
- Tadiran Telecommunications
- Tadiran Batteries
- Tadiran Air Conditioners
- Tadiran Appliances
- Tadiran Electronic Systems
- Tadiran Spectralink
- Tadiran Communications
- Tadiran LifeCare
- Tadiran Telematics
These brands are business are described below.
Tadiran Batteries (owned by Saft Groupe S.A.)Edit
- Tadiran Batteries - One of the world’s largest suppliers of Lithium batteries (famous for lasting up to 20 years). The company is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Saft Groupe S.A. of France, which was created in January 2004 when the Doughty Hanson Funds bought the batteries business of Alcatel (who originally purchased Tadiran Batteries in 2000).
Tadiran Air Conditioners, Tadiran Appliances (owned by Tadiran Holdings)Edit
Tadiran Appliances (also known as Tadiran Air Conditioners), was acquired by the Carrier Corporation, the world’s largest manufacturer and distributor of heating, ventilating and air conditioning (HVAC) systems, itself a subsidiary of United Technologies Corporation (UTC) of the USA and a constitute of Dow Jones Industrial Average. Carrier initially acquired 26%of the company in 1997 and took full ownership of it in 2004.
In the past, Tadiran Appliances used to manufacture a wide range of White goods, including: refrigerators and freezers; stoves and ovens; TV sets ( assembly of Italy's Voxon models) and Radio sets and Car Radios. However, today only the Air conditioning business remains active (and still has the highest market share by far in Israel).
Tadiran Telecommunications (merged with ECI Telecom)Edit
- Tadiran Telecommunications - was a manufacturer of networking infrastructure solutions for carrier and service providers listed on NASDAQ (NASDAQ: TTELF). In September 1998 Tadiran Telecommunications merged with ECI Telecom Ltd. In July 2007 ECI Telecom was acquired by a private equity group and, after 25 years, has been delisted from Nasdaq.
- Tadiran Electronic Systems – a manufacturer of military electronic equipment now part of the Elisra Group.
- Tadiran Spectralink – a supplier of advanced wireless communications products for manned and unmanned aircraft, also part of the Elisra Group.
- Tadiran Communications – a supplier of Military HF and VHF tactical radios and communication systems
In July 2008 Tadiran Communications and Elbit Systems merged, which brought all three of the above companies to exist under one group (this since Elisra Group itself is a subsidiary of Elbit Systems).
Tadiran LifeCare (owned by Aerotel Medical Systems)Edit
Tadiran LifeCare was a division within Tadiran Spectralink, established to design and develop wireless monitoring solutions for healthcare applications. Tadiran LifeCare was acquired by Aerotel Medical Systems in January 2007
Ituran & Tadiran TelematicsEdit
Ituran was established in 1994 by the Tadiran conglomerate to develop and operate a service for locating stolen vehicles using a technology that was originally developed for military use at Tadiran Telematics, a subsidiary of Tadiran Communications. In 1995 Tadiran decided to sell the Ituran concept to a group of investors for $250,000 USD.
In November 1999, Ituran acquired Tadiran Telematics, which continued to manufacture the vehicle tracking systems Ituran was using for its services, for $10 million. The acquisition enabled Ituran to reduce the cost of the systems it sold. Ituran changed the company's name to Telematics Wireless.
- Key dates of the Saft group, archived from the original on 2009-08-26, retrieved 2009-10-06
- Carrier Corp acquires remaining interest in Tadiran Appliances Ltd
- "Carrier Corp. to Sell its Residential Air-conditioning Operations in Israel". PRNewswire. Oct 19, 2009.
- ECI Telecom Ltd. and Tadiran Telecommunications Ltd. to Merge in a Stock-for-Stock Transaction, retrieved 2009-10-06
- ECI Telecom Ltd Completes Acquisition by Private Equity Group, archived from the original on 2008-06-25, retrieved 2009-10-06
- Elbit Systems Completes Merger of Tadiran Communications (PDF), retrieved 2009-10-06[permanent dead link]
- Aerotel Medical Systems Acquires the Tadiran LifeCare Line of Personal Wireless Monitoring Solutions from Tadiran Spectralink, retrieved 2009-10-06
- "Ituran company presentation" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2012-04-02. Retrieved 2011-10-06.
- 'Vehicle Protection Highly Profitable in Israel: Excellent Financial Report for Ituran' Globes, May 1998
- "Ituran building system in Shanghai". IVC Weekly Newsletter. 2004-09-19. Archived from the original on 2011-09-27.
- Ituran raises $49.9m. in Nasdaq listing IVC Weekly, Sep 20, 2011
- "Ituran Location to sell Telematics unit to ST Electronics". Reuters. Nov 19, 2007.
Website of the Tadiran Telecom Group companies
Websites of the Tadiran Batteries Group companies
- Tadiran Batteries International website
- Tadiran Batteries US website
- Tadiran Batteries UK website
- Tadiran Batteries German website
Websites of the Tadiran Appliances companies
Websites of the Elbit Systems companies
- Elbit Systems Group website
- Tadiran Communications Ltd. website
- Tadiran Spectr alink Ltd. website
- Tadiran Electronic Systems Ltd.
- Elisra Group website
- El-Op Electro-optics - Elop Ltd. Website
Aerotel Medical Systems websites
Telematics Wireless website