Tabb High School
Tabb High School is a public high school located in Tabb, an unincorporated community in southern York County, Virginia, United States. It is part of the York County School Division. The school opened in 1972 and is located near the site of one of the first land battles of the US Civil War, the Battle of Big Bethel.
|Tabb High School|
4431 Big Bethel Road
|School type||Public high school|
|School district||York County School Division|
|Color(s)||Black and orange|
|Athletics conference||Virginia High School League|
Bay Rivers District
|Rivals||Grafton High School|
York High School
Poquoson High School
|Newspaper||The Tiger Times|
|Communities served||Tabb, Virginia|
Athletic teams compete in the Virginia High School League's AA Bay Rivers District in Region I. Historically, Tabb High School has been known for its football program, which was dominant in the early 1990s and produced two players for the NFL, Chris Slade and Terry Kirby.
Tabb opened in the fall of 1972. It was without a senior class, and did not have a graduation ceremony until the spring of 1974.
It was considered cutting-edge for its time. It had carpeting, movable walls, air conditioning, and contained two large rooms called kivas in which the teacher worked from the lowest level with five ascending rows in front and on either side. The gymnasium floor was made of Tartan, a rubber surface, which was considered unusual for its time.
The school opened to rave reviews from students, parents and the architectural community. It helped ease overcrowding in York High School.
The original student body was very close, and thrilled to be part of such a unique school. In the summer of 2004, the class of '74 held its 30th reunion. In the spirit of that closeness, they invited the classes of '75 and '76 to participate as well.
Tabb made the playoffs for the first time in 15 years in the '08-'09 football season. The girls' field hockey team won the state championship in the '08-'09 season, '09-'10 season, '10-'11 season, and '11-'12 season, leaving the school with a "four in a row" state championship. They won again in '14, '15, and '16, making seven state championship titles in nine seasons.
- Basketball (boys' and girls')
- Cheer, competition and sideline
- Color guard (winter guard)
- Cross country
- Field hockey
- Golf (boys' and girls')
- Soccer (boys' and girls')
- Swimming/diving (boys' and girls')
- Tennis (boys' and girls')
- Track, indoor and outdoor (boys' and girls')
The school takes in students from the following elementary schools:
- Bethel Manor
- Coventry (partial)
- Grafton Bethel (partial)
- Mount Vernon
All students zoned to Tabb Middle School are zoned to Tabb High School.
- Terry Kirby - former National Football League running back
- Wayne Kirby - former Major League Baseball right fielder
- Justin Melton - Philippine Basketball Association point guard
- Lori Robinson - A four-star general in the U.S. Air Force and the first woman to lead a top-tier U.S. Combat Command
- Chris Slade - former National Football League linebacker
- Levar Stoney - Mayor of Richmond Virginia
- Dave Walters - swimmer, world record holder (relay) and 2008 Olympic gold medalist
- "Tabb High". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved March 5, 2019.
- "Tabb field hockey's 4A state title a dream come true for Tigers' coach Wendy Wilson". Daily Press. Retrieved 2015-11-21.
- "Tabb Overview". Greatschools.net. Retrieved 2007-04-01.
- "School Overview". Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. Archived from the original on 2006-12-29. Retrieved 2007-04-01.
- "Athletics". Tabb High School. Archived from the original on 2009-09-08. Retrieved 2009-08-26.
- "School Districts". York County GIS. Archived from the original on 2006-06-01. Retrieved 2007-04-01.
- 1977 Tabb High School Yearbook, Tabb, Virginia, page 71