TV Okey is a Malaysian free-to-air television channel operated by Radio Televisyen Malaysia dedicated to East Malaysians and urban youths. It was launched on 21 March 2018. It airs programmes in English, Malay, and East Malaysian languages such as Iban (Sarawak), Kadazan, Dusun and Bajau (Sabah).
|Broadcast area||Malaysia |
|Headquarters||Angkasapuri, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia|
|Picture format||1080i HDTV (16:9)|
|Owner||Radio Televisyen Malaysia|
|Sister channels||TV1, TV2, RTM Sports, Berita RTM|
|Launched||21 March 2018|
|Replaced||TVi & TV5|
|myFreeview||Channel 110 (HD)|
|Verizon Vision||Channel 605 (HD/VOD)|
|Astro||Channel 109 (Old)|
Channel 146 (New)
|NJOI||Channel 146 (SD)|
|Unifi TV||Channel 117 (Coming Soon)|
The channel's name is an acronym for “opportunity”, “knowledge”, “experience” and “yours”.
Before TV Okey exist, four test channels were launched by RTM as part of its Digital terrestrial television (DTT) broadcasting trial on selected households and pay television network Astro from 2006 to 2018. They were RTMi, RTM Muzik Aktif, TVi (TV Interaktif) and TV5. RTMi was a channel that broadcast RTM1 and RTM2 programme previews for 5 hours daily from 7:00 p.m. until 12:00 a.m., RTM Muzik Aktif was a music channel while TVi and TV5 were channels that promote East Malaysian culture. There were plans in early 2010s to launch state television channels for Sabah and Sarawak by RTM, but eventually they were not realised. In Sarawak, however, the state television plan was later undertaken by Sarawak Media Group, which launched TV Sarawak on 11 October 2020.
TV Okey was launched on 21 March 2018 in the evening at Hilton Hotel in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah. On 1 April 2019, TV Okey has started its HDTV broadcasting in conjunction of RTM's 73rd anniversary, and available exclusively through myFreeview DTT service on Channel 110. Beginning 6 April 2020, TV Pendidikan air on the channel daily under the Kelas@Rumah (Class@Home) programming, marking its return to RTM after 20 years.
- Yusa, Zam (21 March 2018). "Najib launches new TV channel for Sabah and Sarawak". Free Malaysia Today. Retrieved 23 February 2019.
- Zainuddin, Alifah (22 February 2019). "RTM-Bernama merger on the cards". The Malaysian Reserve. Archived from the original on 24 February 2019. Retrieved 23 February 2019.
- Olivia Miwil; Suzianah Jiffar (21 March 2018). "TV Okey set to feature more local dialects in Sabah and Sarawak". New Straits Times. Retrieved 23 February 2019.
- "RTM Introduces New Channel On Astro". Bernama. Retrieved 3 April 2017.
- "RTM Lancar Stesen TV5 Rai Ulang Tahun Ke-71" (in Malay). My News Hub. 31 March 2017. Retrieved 3 April 2017.
- New TV channel to focus on Sarawak, Sabah — Rais
- "TVi official website".
- "TV5 official website".
- TV OKEY dilancar
- RTM's TV Okey brings classes home