TGT was a supergroup that consisted of R&B singers Tyrese (Tyrese Gibson), Ginuwine (Elgin Baylor Lumpkin) and Tank (Durrell Babbs). TGT is named after the first letter of each of the trio's stage names (T for Tyrese, G for Ginuwine, and T for Tank). The three are close friends and Tyrese was best man at Ginuwine's wedding, but TGT represented their first collaboration. Despite being together as a super group since its formation in 2007, it released its debut album only in August 2013 titled Three Kings on Atlantic Records.
In an interview, Tyrese said the group would be the "ultimate R&B fan experience. Me, Tank and Ginuwine been talking about this forever. The reason why this makes sense is that besides all of us being R&B singers, we're all good friends. Every time I see Tank, every time I see Ginuwine, we all had good energy regardless."
The trio planned the Shirts Off Tour for late 2007, with Avant as an opening act. As part of the tour, they planned to hold auditions for a fourth member of the group. The tour faced delays, however, and was anticipated for early 2008.
The group faced difficulties given that each member of the trio is signed to a different record label, and on August 21, 2008 Ginuwine announced on his MySpace blog that due to label and legal issues they will not be able to release an official TGT album at the moment.
On September 22, 2012, Tyrese revealed on his Twitter page that the group has been officially signed to Atlantic Records. Although together on and off for many years, TGT released their debut album Three Kings on August 20, 2013 under Atlantic Records.
|Title||Album details||Peak chart positions||Sales|
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Album|
|US||US R&B||US Adult R&B|
|"Please Don't Go (The TGT Remix)"||2007||42||2||1||Originally by Tank on his album |
Sex, Love & Pain
|"Sex Never Felt Better"||2013||—||38||13||Three Kings|
|"Next Time Around"||2014||—||—||6|
- Brown, August (June 3, 2007). "A steamy time will be had by all", Los Angeles Times, p. F14.
- Spivey, Lisa (May 31, 2007). "R & B's Newest Trio", Los Angeles Sentinel 72 (43): B7.
- Haynes, Ebony (February 9, 2008). "Mix 'N' Match", Chicago Tribune, p. 30.
- Slagle, Dana (June 11, 2007). "Tyrese, Ginuwine And Tank Form A Singing Group", Jet 111 (23): 33. Convenience link.
- Concepcion, Muriel; Crosley, Hillary; and Mitchell, Gail (July 21, 2007). "Urban songwriters to watch", Billboard 119 (29): 33
- no byline (October 11, 2007). "Tank is rollin' into town", The Daily Reflector.
- "Beyonce & Jay Z Lead 2014 BET Awards". Billboard. 2014-01-26. Retrieved 2014-05-14.