T. J. Acree
T. J. Acree (born July 21, 1982) is a former Canadian football wide receiver for multiple teams in the Canadian Football League. From 2005 to 2008, Acree played for the BC Lions, Edmonton Eskimos, Toronto Argonauts, and Saskatchewan Roughriders.
|Born:||July 21, 1982|
|Height||6 ft 0 in (183 cm)|
|Weight||180 lb (82 kg)|
|High school||Highland HS|
Acree played college football for the Boise State Broncos, starting as a walk-on. He wasn't actively recruited by any college football programs out of high school, and Boise State showed little interest in him initially. Boise State invited Acree to walk-on primarily at the recommendation of Broncos coach Dirk Koetter's brother, who coached Acree at Highland High School. After redshirting in his true freshman year, he caught a single pass for eight yards in his first year as an active player. He played in seven games as a sophomore but made no receptions. In his junior year, Acree was given a scholarship for the first time and began to play an active role as a receiver. He finished the year with 51 catches for 758 yards and seven touchdowns. Acree's success continued in his final year with the Broncos, as he finished with 55 receptions for 947 yards and eight touchdowns, all career-highs.
Acree was signed by the BC Lions in 2005, and he spent most of his time on the practice squad in his rookie year. The Lions resigned Acree for the 2006 season, and he emerged as a competent receiver, making 28 catches for 266 yards while playing in eight games.
Acree was signed by the Toronto Argonauts and later traded to the Saskatchewean Roughriders. He dealt with a recurring foot injury throughout the 2008 season, and played in only one game with each team.
Acree was arrested on August 26, 2006, while police were responding to an assault. During the incident, police deployed a taser against Acree after he allegedly failed to comply with their orders. No charges were filed. Acree stated that he considered pursuing a legal case due to excessive use of force.
|||Receiving||Punt returns||Kick returns||Misc|
- Maher, Tod; Gill, Bob (2013). The Canadian Pro Football Encyclopedia: Every Player, Coach and Game, 1946–2012. Maher Sports Media. p. 139. ISBN 978-0983513667.
- Whiteside, Kelly (October 21, 2004). "Boise State's BCS hopes catch a star". USA Today. Retrieved April 18, 2016.
- "T.J. Acree – WR for the Boise State Broncos". Fox Sports. Retrieved April 18, 2016.
- "Wansley and Acree remain Lions for 2006". BC Lions. April 5, 2006. Retrieved April 19, 2016.
- "Eskimos sign T.J. Acree". The Toronto Star. 6 February 2007. Retrieved April 19, 2016.
- "It takes time to make big decisions". The Leader-Post. August 12, 2008. Archived from the original on June 11, 2016. Retrieved April 19, 2016.
- "Taser used on CFL player". CBC News. September 27, 2006. Retrieved April 19, 2016.
- Beamish, Mike (July 6, 2007). "Acree is making the most of a fresh start". Vancouver Sun. Retrieved April 19, 2016.