The Syrian Special Mission Forces (Arabic: وحدة المهام الخاصة) are a Quick reaction force of the Ministry of Interior. They are tasked with defending against terrorist attacks on government-controlled parts of Aleppo and Damascus, and other urban settings.
|Syrian Special Mission Forces|
|Country||Syrian Arab Republic|
|Allegiance||Syrian Arab Republic|
|Branch||Ministry of Interior|
|Type||Quick reaction force|
The unit has received self-defence training and military-grade weapons from Russia. The unit is comparable to the Russian ODON. The SSMF uses Russian-suppiled AK-103 and AK-104 as the main service rifles, the former main rifles were the AK-47 and most likely, the AKM as well.
According to Al-Masdar News, the Special Mission Forces are mainly, although not exclusively, intended for urban security actions, as well as carrying out force protection and security operations against terrorist activities.
They are noted to have performed well in thwarting attacks by terrorists in the western suburbs and Old City of Aleppo and foiling random attacks by terrorists in the Old City and western suburbs. Not limited to city defense, the Syrian Special Mission Forces have attacked behind enemy lines during the Syrian Army’s East Ghouta offensive. They are more experienced than the National Defence Forces in that many are experienced military officers, some with experience in the Syrian Special Forces. It is anticipated that after the war is over and the conflict in the area dissipates, they will help contribute in the rebuilding of Syria.
- "Syrian Army on verge of capturing major East Ghouta stronghold: Field Report". 29 October 2016. Retrieved 25 June 2017.
- "Syrian Army goes all in on Aleppo as more reinforcements pour into the city - Map update". 25 November 2016. Retrieved 25 June 2017.
- "Syrian Army captures large tunnel, neighborhood in east Damascus town". 21 June 2017. Retrieved 25 June 2017.
- "Newly formed Syrian Special Mission Forces prove effective against jihadist groups". 1 May 2017. Retrieved 25 June 2017.
- "Farsnews". en.farsnews.com. Retrieved 25 June 2017.
- "Спецназ МВД Сирии опробовал на передовой новые АК-104". Retrieved 25 June 2017.
- Fadel, Leith (1 May 2017). "Newly formed Syrian Special Mission Forces prove effective against jihadist groups". Al Masdar News. Retrieved 31 August 2017.
- Neville, Leigh (2019). The Elite: The A–Z of Modern Special Operations Forces. Bloomsbury Publishing. ISBN 978-1-4728-2430-1. Retrieved 17 February 2020.
- Newly formed Syrian Special Mission Forces prove effective against jihadist groups, al-Masdar News, 01-05-17