Synthese (//) is a scholarly periodical specializing in papers in epistemology, methodology, and philosophy of science, and related issues. Its subject area is divided into four specialties, with a focus on the first three: (1) "epistemology, methodology, and philosophy of science, all broadly understood"; (2) "foundations of logic and mathematics, where 'logic', 'mathematics', and 'foundations' are all broadly understood"; (3) "formal methods in philosophy, including methods connecting philosophy to other academic fields"; and (4) "issues in ethics and the history and sociology of logic, mathematics, and science that contribute to the contemporary studies".
Front cover of a Synthese serial
|Discipline||Philosophy, philosophy of science|
|0.477(2 years) 0.512 (5 years)(2008)|
Published articles include specific treatment of methodological issues in science such as induction, probability, causation, statistics, symbolic logic, linguistics and ethics. The name Synthese (from the Dutch for synthesis) finds its origin in the intentions of its founding editors: making explicit the supposed internal coherence between the different, highly specialised scientific disciplines.
Editorial decision controversyEdit
The printed version of the special issue Evolution and Its Rivals of the journal, which appeared two years after the online version, was supplied with a disclaimer from the then editors of the journal that "appeared to undermine [the authors] and the guest editors".
"Due to an unfortunate human error", one of the articles accepted to the special issue Logic and Relativity Theory of the journal was not sent by the guest editor to the editors of the journal for approval as the then current policies had required. Upon the discovery of this discrepancy, the then editors of the journal have imposed a moratorium on new special issues for approximately two-three months pending review of the policies.
- "Synthese | Home". www.springer.com. Retrieved 2020-11-08.
- From the first editorial: "How does SYNTHESE understand its task? [...] It will search, cutting through the high specialisation of nearly every area, for the internal coherence of the scientific disciplines." Translated from the Dutch "Hoe denkt SYNTHESE zijn taak op te vatten? [...] Het zal speuren, door de ver-doorgevoerde specialisatie op schier elk gebied héén, naar den innerlijken samenhang der vakwetenschappen.", "Inleiding". Synthese. 1: 1–6. 1936. doi:10.1007/BF01272768.
- Sher, Gila (August 2015). "In memoriam: Jaakko Hintikka". Synthese. 192 (8): 2337–2338. doi:10.1007/s11229-015-0882-2.
- "Synthese | Editors". www.springer.com. Retrieved 2020-11-08.
- Branch, Glenn; Fetzer, James H. (January 2011). "Evolution and Its Rivals". Synthese. 178 (2). Retrieved 28 January 2016.
- Oppenheimer, Mark (13 May 2011). "Debate Over Intelligent Design Ensnares a Journal". New York Times. Retrieved 28 January 2016.
- Székely, Gergely (July 2015). "Logic and Relativity Theory". Synthese. 192 (7): 1937–1938. doi:10.1007/s11229-014-0622-z. Retrieved 30 January 2016.
- W., Justin (27 January 2016). "Statement from Synthese Editors / Moratorium on Special Issues". Daily Nous. Retrieved 30 January 2016.