Symphonica (also promoted as Symphonica: The Orchestral Tour) was an orchestral concert tour by George Michael and his final tour. The singer performed the songs mainly from Songs from the Last Century and Patience albums as well as some cover versions in new arrangements.
|World tour by George Michael|
Promotional poster for LG Arena, Birmingham show
|Start date||22 August 2011|
|End date||17 October 2012|
|No. of shows||67 (75 scheduled)|
|George Michael concert chronology|
The tour was officially announced on 11 May 2011. Due to high demand for tickets, extra shows were added in Dublin, London, Birmingham, Manchester, Glasgow, Cardiff, Rotterdam, Herning & Verona. A Brussels show was later announced on 3 June. Milan and Copenhagen shows were later announced.
A "Songs From The Last Century-Tour", with most off the songs that appear on Symphonica, was actually planned around the release of its album, but the idea obviously got shelved until after the hugely well received and successful "25-Tour".
Many of the shows had already sold out completely. Prague, Antwerp, Rotterdam, London (Royal Albert Hall & Royal Opera House), Dublin, Cardiff, Sheffield and Newcastle had all sold out.
The Show included four new core band members who were selected by producer Phil Ramone and George Michael. These new members included musical director and pianist Henry Hey, guitarist Ben Butler, bassist David Finck, and drummer Mark McLean. In addition, percussionist Lea Mullen and guitarist Phil Palmer completed the band – along with Michael's long-time background vocalists Shirley Lewis, Lucy Jules, Lincoln Jean-Marie and Jay Henry. Stage has a semi-oval shape with a huge screen projecting different visual effects sometimes with George himself. Some visuals were taken from previous tour.
On 25 November it was announced that all further concerts in 2011 had been cancelled due to ill health. Eventually it took longer time for George to recover thus all concerts postponed and scheduled for April and May would be postponed to October and November 2012.
On 3 May 2012 it was announced that scheduled for early April shows in Australia would be postponed to November 2012. His performance in Perth on 10 November would've been the headline act for the Perth Arena Gala Opening. But later due to recovery restrictions from the illness George forced to cancel all Australian dates.
It was announced on Michael's website that his album Symphonica, released on 17 March 2014, would consist of studio material initially rehearsed for this tour including some live recordings.
Set List of the premiere concert which had played on 22 August 2011 at State Opera House – Prague, Czech Republic Set list has a few changes from the first concert – see Additional notes.
- My Baby Just Cares For Me
- Cowboys & Angels
- True Faith
- Let Her Down Easy (Terence Trent D'Arby cover)
- Kissing A Fool
- Going to a Town
- It Doesn’t Really Matter
- Brother Can You Spare a Dime?
- John And Elvis Are Dead
- Russian Roulette
- You Have Been Loved
- You've Changed
- Love Is A Losing Game
- Where I Hope You Are (new song)
- Praying For Time
- Wild Is the Wind
- A Different Corner
- Feeling Good
- You And I
- Amazing / I'm Your Man / Freedom 90
- Wrocław Philharmonic Orchestra – Poland
- Czech National Symphony Orchestra – Prague
- Closer to the end of Intermission a mix of different Michael's songs including "Different Corner", "Older" and "John and Elvis Are Dead" is playing with some light effects.
- From 3 September concert at Forum Copenhagen George includes the song "Understand" in the set-list replacing "You And I".
- On 17 September, George Michael performed a concert to celebrate the opening of a new stadium in Wrocław. He performed with the Wrocław Philharmonic Orchestra.
- From 19 September concert at Budapest Sportaréna George perform Elton John' song "Idol" replacing "It Doesn't Really Matter".
- From 7 October concert at Antwerp SportPaleis George perform "Song To The Siren" replacing "Understand".
- George Michael performed the song "Safe" on 29 October concert in London's Royal Albert Hall, 1 and 3 November concerts in Dublin's The O2
- From 14 November concert at Prague O2Arena George perform the song "The Recluse" replacing "Kissing a Fool"
- During the second leg of the tour in 2012 the songs "Idol", "Song To The Siren", "You and I" and "Where I Hope You Are" was removed, the song "Father Figure" added to the first half of the set-list, the first song after the intermission is changed to "Waiting For That Day" and "Love is a Losing Game" was not performed as well. Additionally, the last song performed live was "White Light".
- On 16 September concert in Birmingham George finished the concert with the song "I Remember You" instead of "White Light"
- On 9 October concert in Manchester, George finished the concert with the song "I Remember You" instead of "White Light" and performed "Star People" and "F.E.A.R" by Ian Brown.
- At concert in Liverpool and final shows in London George would finish the concert with "I Remember You".
|Date||City||Country||Venue||Tickets sold / available||Gross revenue|
|22 August 2011||Prague||Czech Republic||State Opera House|
|29 August 2011||Herning||Denmark||Jyske Bank Boxen|
|31 August 2011|
|2 September 2011|
|3 September 2011||Copenhagen||Forum Copenhagen|
|5 September 2011||Berlin||Germany||Mercedes-Benz Arena|
|7 September 2011||Cologne||Lanxess Arena|
|8 September 2011||Mannheim||SAP Arena|
|10 September 2011||Florence||Italy||Piazza Santa Croce|
|11 September 2011||Naples||Arena Italsider|
|13 September 2011||Verona||Verona Arena|
|14 September 2011|
|17 September 2011||Wrocław||Poland||Stadion Miejski|
|19 September 2011||Budapest||Hungary||László Papp Budapest Sports Arena|
|20 September 2011||Zagreb||Croatia||Arena Zagreb|
|22 September 2011||Nice||France||Palais Nikaia|
|24 September 2011||Bilbao||Spain||Bizkaia Arena|
|25 September 2011||Madrid||Barclaycard Center Madrid|
|27 September 2011||Barcelona||Palau Sant Jordi|
|28 September 2011||Marseille||France||Le Silo|
|30 September 2011||Toulouse||Zénith de Toulouse|
|1 October 2011||Montpellier||Park&Suites Arena|
|3 October 2011||Paris||AccorHotels Arena|
|4 October 2011|
|7 October 2011||Antwerp||Belgium||Sportpaleis||13,052 / 13,437||$1,457,370|
|8 October 2011||Brussels||Forest National|
|10 October 2011||Rotterdam||Netherlands||Rotterdam Ahoy|
|12 October 2011||Stuttgart||Germany||Hanns-Martin-Schleyer-Halle|
|14 October 2011||Zürich||Switzerland||Hallenstadion|
|15 October 2011||Geneva||SEG Geneva Arena|
|18 October 2011||Hamburg||Germany||Barclaycard Arena Hamburg||11,099 / 11,897||$921,594|
|19 October 2011||Hanover||TUI Arena|
|21 October 2011||Rotterdam||Netherlands||Rotterdam Ahoy|
|22 October 2011|
|25 October 2011||London||England||Royal Albert Hall|
|28 October 2011|
|29 October 2011|
|1 November 2011||Dublin||Ireland||3Arena|
|3 November 2011|
|6 November 2011||London||England||Royal Opera House|
|9 November 2011||Oberhausen||Germany||König Pilsener Arena|
|11 November 2011||Milan||Italy||Mediolanum Forum|
|12 November 2011|
|14 November 2011||Prague||Czech Republic||O2 Arena|
|15 November 2011||Berlin||Germany||Mercedes-Benz Arena|
|17 November 2011||Munich||Olympiahalle|
|19 November 2011||Frankfurt||Festhalle Frankfurt|
|4 September 2012||Vienna||Austria||Wiener Stadthalle|
|6 September 2012|
|9 September 2012||Paris||France||Palais Garnier|
|11 September 2012||Brussels||Belgium||Forest National|
|14 September 2012||Amsterdam||Netherlands||Ziggo Dome|
|16 September 2012||Birmingham||England||Genting Arena|
|17 September 2012|
|21 September 2012||Manchester||Manchester Arena||11,356 / 12,876||$1,535,440|
|23 September 2012||Glasgow||Scotland||Scottish Exhibition and Conference Centre|
|24 September 2012|
|29 September 2012||London||England||Royal Albert Hall|
|1 October 2012||Sheffield||Sheffield Arena|
|3 October 2012||Newcastle||Metro Radio Arena|
|5 October 2012||Cardiff||Wales||Motorpoint Arena Cardiff|
|6 October 2012|
|9 October 2012||Manchester||England||Manchester Arena||8,756 / 9,544||$1,181,680|
|10 October 2012||Liverpool||Echo Arena Liverpool|
|13 October 2012||London||Earls Court|
|14 October 2012|
|17 October 2012|
- Cancellations and rescheduled shows
|26 October 2011||London, England||Royal Albert Hall||Postponed to 2 May 2012|
|2 May 2012||London, England||Royal Albert Hall||Postponed to 29 September|
|21 November 2011||Vienna, Austria||Stadthalle||Postponed to 6 September|
|23 November 2011||Strasbourg, France||Zénith||Cancelled|
|26 November 2011||Cardiff, Wales||Motorpoint Arena||Postponed to 5 October 2012 |
|27 November 2011||Cardiff, Wales||Motorpoint Arena||Postponed to 6 October 2012|
|30 November 2011||Liverpool, England||Echo Arena||Postponed to 10 October 2012|
|2 December 2011||Sheffield, England||Motorpoint Arena||Postponed to 10 October 2012|
|3 December 2011||Newcastle, England||Metro Radio Arena||Postponed to 3 October 2012|
|6–7 December 2011||Glasgow, Scotland||SECC||Postponed to 23–24 September 2012|
|9–10 December 2011||Birmingham, England||Genting Arena||Postponed to 16–17 September 2012|
|12–13 December 2011||Manchester, England||Manchester Arena||Postponed to 21 September and 9 October 2012|
|16–19 December 2011||London, England||Earls Court||Postponed to 13, 14 and 17 October 2012.|
|10 November 2012||Perth, Australia||Perth Arena||Cancelled|
|13–14 November 2012||Adelaide, Australia||Adelaide Entertainment Centre||Cancelled|
|17–18 November 2012||Sydney, Australia||Qudos Bank Arena||Cancelled|
|21–22 November 2012||Melbourne, Australia||Rod Laver Arena||Cancelled|
|27 November 2012||Brisbane, Australia||Brisbane Entertainment Centre||Cancelled|
|1 December 2012||Hunter Valley, Australia||Hope Estate Winery||Cancelled|
- "George Michael announces Symphoninca: The Orchestral Tour". georgemichael.com. 11 May 2011. Retrieved 1 June 2011.
- "Symphonica performance added in Brussels". George Michael's Official Website. 3 June 2011. Retrieved 6 June 2011.
- "George Michael shelves all 2011 tour dates due to illness | News". Nme.Com. 15 September 2011. Retrieved 25 November 2011.
- "GEORGE MICHAEL'S SYMPHONICA TOUR TO OPEN PERTH ARENA". Perth Arena. Retrieved 3 May 2012.
- "Symphonica Tour Prague Setlist announced". George Michael's Official Website. Retrieved 22 August 2011.
- "George Michael will sing with the Wrocław Philharmonic Orchestra". 16 May 2011. Retrieved 31 May 2011.
- "More Symphonica Performances, Confirmed". George Michael's Official Website. Retrieved 1 June 2011.
- "Symphonica dates added in London". George Michael's Official Website. Retrieved 1 June 2011.
- "Symphonica dates added in Rotterdam". George Michael's Official Website. Retrieved 1 June 2011.
- "Announced new dates". George Michael's Official Website. Archived from the original on 14 March 2012. Retrieved 20 March 2012.
- "Brussels show added". George Michael's Official Website. Retrieved 28 March 2012.
- "Concert at Royal Albert Hall on 26 October has postponed to 2 May 2012". George Michael's Official Website. Retrieved 25 October 2011.
- "Concert at Royal Albert Hall on 2 May has postponed again to 29 September 2012". George Michael's Official Website. Retrieved 20 March 2012.
- "George Michael Announces new dates ot Symphonica Tour". George Michael's Official Website. Retrieved 20 March 2011.
- "SYMPHONICA: AUSTRALIA!". George Michael's Official Website. Retrieved 3 May 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Symphonica: The Orchestral Tour.|