Symbiosis International University
This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Symbiosis International University (Private University), is a multi-campus private higher-education institute deemed university, headquartered in the city of Pune, India. The university has more than 30 academic institutions spread over various campuses in Pune, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Indore, Nagpur, Nashik, Noida and covering fields of Law, Management, Computer Studies, Media and Communication, Humanities and Social Sciences, Engineering, Health Sciences and Architecture and Design.
Motto in English
|The world is one family|
|Type||Private deemed university|
|Founders||S B Mujumdar|
|Chancellor||S B Mujumdar|
|Vice-Chancellor||Rajani R. Gupte|
|Mascot||The common man|
The first institution belonging to the Symbiosis Society was established in 1971 under the patronage of S. B. Mujumdar, president and founding director of the Symbiosis Society, and were affiliated with the University of Pune.
In 2002, as part of a larger program to grant autonomy to institutions of academic excellence, the Ministry of Human Resources Development conferred the deemed to be university status on three institutes under Symbiosis Society, Symbiosis Institute of Computer Studies and Research, Symbiosis Institute of Business Management (SIBM) and Symbiosis Society's Law College, which formed the Symbiosis International University. In 2016 the university opened a campus in Indore. In 2019, the university opened a campus in Nagpur.
|General – international|
|QS (Asia) (2020)||291–300|
|QS (BRICS) (2019)||109|
|General – India|
|NIRF (Overall) (2020)||73|
|NIRF (Universities) (2020)||43|
|Engineering – India|
|Outlook India (2019)||41|
|India Today (2020)||38|
|Business/Management – India|
|Business Today (2019)||24|
|Outlook India (2020)||6|
Symbiosis Institute of Technology, its engineering college, was ranked 48 among engineering colleges by India Today in 2020. It was ranked No. 42 among all engineering colleges in India by Outlook India in 2019.
The Symbiosis Institute of Business Management was ranked No. 15 by Business Today's "India's best B-schools 2019". It was ranked sixth among private business schools in India by Outlook India's "Outlook-ICARE MBA Rankings: Top 150 Private MBA Institutions" of 2020. The National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) ranked it 22nd in 2020.
The Symbiosis Centre for Management and Human Resource Development was ranked No. 24 by Business Today's "India's best B-schools 2019".
In October 2018, two women students of Symbiosis Law School alleged that the institute has evicted them from their hostel following a #MeToo post they made complaining about sexual harassment from an assistant professor. Days later, institute officials stated that the teacher has been suspended and that the action taken against the students was unrelated to their post and "following disciplinary misconduct". In February 2019 Maneka Gandhi, the Minister of Women and Child Development, has directed the institute to reinstate the students. However, the controversy pertains.
- "Prof. Dr. S B Mujumdar (M.Sc. Ph.D.), CHANCELLOR, Symbiosis International (Deemed University)". siu.edu.in. Retrieved 21 September 2019.
- "VICE CHANCELLOR, Symbiosis International (Deemed University)". siu.edu.in. Retrieved 21 September 2019.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 30 October 2009. Retrieved 23 October 2009.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Members". aalau.org. Alliance of Asian Liberal Arts Universities. Retrieved 18 May 2018.
- "President of India K. R. Narayan will unveil an eight-feet-tall bronze statue of R. K. Laxman's Common Man, the endearing character by India's ace cartoonist, in front of Symbiosis Viswabhavan in Pune". The Tribune. 18 December 2001. Retrieved 16 January 2014.
- "About Symbiosis International (Deemed University)". siu.edu.in. Retrieved 16 May 2019.
- Ganjapure, Vaibhav (22 April 2019). "Symbiosis opens its 2nd biggest campus in Ngp, to start classes from July". The Times of India. Retrieved 16 May 2019.
- "QS Asia University Rankings 2020". QS Quacquarelli Symonds Limited. 2020.
- "QS BRICS University Rankings 2019". QS Quacquarelli Symonds Limited. 2018.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2020 (Overall)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Education. 11 June 2020.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2020 (Universities)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Education. 11 June 2020.
- "India's Top 150 Engineering Colleges In 2019". Outlook India. 6 June 2019.
- "Best ENGINEERING Colleges 2020: List of Top ENGINEERING Colleges 2020 in India". indiatoday.in. Retrieved 13 July 2020.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2020 (Management)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Education. 11 June 2020.
- "India's best B-schools 2019: Overall Ranking 2019". Business Today. 3 November 2019.
- "Outlook-ICARE MBA Rankings: Top 150 Private MBA Institutions Outlook India Magazine". Retrieved 22 January 2020.
- "#MeToo: Symbiosis law school throws two students out of hostel for outing their harasser". The New Indian Express. 27 October 2018. Retrieved 22 March 2019.
- "Symbiosis suspends teacher over MeToo charges by students". The Times of India. 29 October 2018. Retrieved 22 March 2019.
- Suares, Coreena (26 February 2019). "Hyderabad: Centre wants law school to reinstate evicted students". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 22 March 2019.