Sylviana Murni (born 11 October 1958) is an Indonesian politician and bureaucrat who has been a member of the Regional Representative Council since 2019. She has previously served as mayor of Central Jakarta between 2008 and 2010 and later participated as a running mate in the 2017 Jakarta gubernatorial election.
|Indonesian Senator from Jakarta|
|Assumed office |
1 October 2019
|Mayor of Central Jakarta|
1 April 2008 – 4 November 2010
|Born||11 October 1958|
Sylviana was born in Jakarta on 11 October 1958. She studied law at Jayabaya University, and later economics at the University of Indonesia (masters) and Jakarta State University (doctorate). In 1981, during her final semester at Jayabaya, she participated in the Mr. & Miss Jakarta (Abang None Jakarta) contest as her friend had signed her up, and she won first place.
She began working for Jakarta's provincial government in 1985. She was promoted multiple times, and by 1997 she was head of the culture and mental coaching in Jakarta's educational department. Shortly before the fall of Suharto, Sylviana also served in the Jakarta Regional People's Representative Council between 1997 and 1999. After the stint as a legislator, she returned to her bureaucratic work, being appointed head of the social development department until 2001, head of the population and civil registration office until 2004, and head of elementary education until 2008.
On 1 April 2008, she was appointed as the mayor of Central Jakarta. She became the first woman to serve as mayor of Jakarta's five administrative cities. Saefullah was appointed to replace her on 4 November 2010. She was later proposed as a potential candidate for regional secretary (the highest bureaucratic office in Jakarta) in 2014, but was passed over in favor of Saefullah, and Sylviana was instead appointed governor's deputy for tourism and culture.
In order to run as Agus Harimurti Yudhoyono's running mate in the 2017 Jakarta gubernatorial election, she resigned from her civil servant job in September 2016. The pair was defeated in the first round of the election, and Sylviana instead ran as a Jakarta senatorial candidate for the 2019 legislative election. She was elected into the Regional Representative Council with 455,182 votes, ranking fourth in Jakarta out of an allotment of four senators.
- "Sylviana Murni, dari None Jakarta dan Kepala Satpol PP Kini Jadi Cawagub DKI". KOMPAS.com (in Indonesian). 26 September 2016. Retrieved 17 September 2020.
- Kami, Indah Mutiara (8 December 2016). "Kenangan Sylviana Jadi None Jakarta: Menang Meski Tak Suka Dandan". detiknews (in Indonesian). Retrieved 17 September 2020.
- "Profil Sylviana Murni Pendamping Agus Yudhoyono; Aktivis, Politisi, Akademisi dan Birokrat". Tribunnews.com (in Indonesian). 23 September 2016. Retrieved 17 September 2020.
- "Sylviana Murni, Perempuan Walikota Pertama di Jakarta". Kompas (in Indonesian). 1 April 2008. Retrieved 17 September 2020.
- "Dugaan Korupsi Pembangunan Masjid Terjadi Saat Sylviana Murni Memimpin". Berita Satu (in Indonesian). 11 January 2017. Retrieved 17 September 2020.
- "Gagal Pilkada, Sylviana Murni Daftar Jadi Calon Anggota DPD DKI". KOMPAS.com (in Indonesian). 20 July 2018. Retrieved 17 September 2020.
- Alfons, Matius (17 May 2019). "Rekapitulasi KPU DKI untuk DPD: Jimly hingga Sylviana Murni Unggul". detiknews (in Indonesian). Retrieved 17 September 2020.