Sykes Enterprises, Incorporated, stylized as SYKES, is an American multinational business process outsourcing provider headquartered in Tampa, Florida. The company provides business process outsourcing (BPO) services, IT consulting, and IT-enabled services, such as technical support and customer service.
|Founder||John H. Sykes|
|Charles E. Sykes (President & CEO)|
|Revenue||US$ 1,286 million (2016)|
|US$ 69 million (2016)|
|US$ 94 million (2016)|
|Total assets||US$ 948 million (2016)|
|Total equity||US$ 679 million (2016)|
Number of employees
Sykes was founded in 1977 by John H. Sykes in Charlotte, North Carolina to provide engineering and design services to large corporations. Companies such as IBM, AT&T, and Texas Instruments were among Sykes' first clients. By 1990, the company had 1,000 employees, 20 offices, and $55 million in annual revenue.
David Grimes, a former AT&T executive, was named president of Sykes in 1998. John Sykes remained CEO and chairman. In 2000, Grimes became president and CEO. However, after 3 months, Grimes resigned and Sykes returned as president and CEO.
Charles Sykes, John Sykes' son, became president and CEO of the company in 2004. Charles had been with the company 17 years prior to assuming his father's position.
June 18, 2021, a subsidiary of Sitel Group acquired all outstanding shares of SYKES shares in a cash transaction valued at approximately $2.2 billion, removing the company from Nasdaq's publicly traded company. The Sitel Group, in its new combination, brings together 160,000 employees in 40 countries, serving more than 700 customers and in more than 50 languages. This merger will enable the company to achieve revenue of approximately $4.3 billion in 2021.
The following are key milestones in Sykes' official history as a company.
- 1977 - Sykes begins as a small engineering firm with three employees in Charlotte, North Carolina
- 1979-1982 - The technical writing group begins in Charlotte marking the beginning of the Information Services branch
- 1992 - Sykes purchases Jones Technologies, Inc. in Sterling, Colorado and enters into customer support business
- 1993 - Company reorganizes, moves corporate office from Charlotte to Tampa, Florida
- 1994 - Sykes opens call center in Amsterdam (Netherlands) to be their EMEA headquarters
- 1996 - Company goes public – stock begins trading on NASDAQ. First international presence with acquisition of Datasvar Support AB of Sweden
- 1996 - Sykes purchases Diagsoft Inc. of Scotts Valley, California
- 1997 - Several acquisitions including McQueen International Limited with multiple locations including operations in The Philippines
- 1999 - Sykes inducted into the Software Support Professional Association (SSPA) Hall of Fame and opens operations center in Costa Rica
- 2003 - Sykes expands global footprint to El Salvador and Cebu City in the Philippines
- 2004 - Chuck Sykes appointed as President and CEO
- 2006 - Sykes acquires Argentina-based Apex America. Sykes has more than 26,000 employees at year-end
- 2007 -Sykes expands to Perry County, Kentucky
- 2011 - Sykes opens three centers in the U.S. – Kingstree, South Carolina; Greenwood, South Carolina and Malvern, Arkansas - as well as new centers in Brazil, Costa Rica and Denmark.
- 2009 - Sykes and ICT Group have begun integration after the proposed merger of the two
- 2010 - Sykew acquires ICT Group
- 2010 - Company opens two new support centers in Norway
- 2011 - Sykes opens their call center in Fort Smith, Arkansas
- 2012 - Sykes acquires Alpine Access and opens a new support center in Eugene, Oregon.
- 2012 - Sykes opens new center in Mandaluyong, Philippines. The 500 Shaw Zentrum Site.
- 2013 - Sykes opens new center in Glorietta One Corporate Tower, located in Ayala Center, Makati City, Philippines
- 2015 - Sykes opens new center in Boise, Idaho and acquires a company called Qelp
- 2016 - Sykes acquires Clearlink and opens new center in San Pedro, Costa Rica
- 2018 - Sykes acquires RPA service provider, Symphony Ventures
- 2021 - Sykes acquired by the Sitel Group in a $2.2 billion all-cash deal; stock delisted from Nasdaq.
Sykes headquarters is located in Tampa, Florida. As of 2010, the company has operations in the following countries:
Sykes provides customer contact management services in the business process outsourcing (BPO) arena. The company provides customer contact management to companies around the world, primarily in the communications, financial services, healthcare, technology and transportation and leisure industries.
- "2015 Annual Report" (PDF). Sykes Enterprises. Retrieved 11 June 2016.
- Cranford, Steve (November 19, 1990). "Volunteering Left and Right". The Business Journal Serving Charlotte and the Metropolitan Area. p. 14.
- Martinez, David (April 6, 2013). "Call Center Operations Thriving After 2 Decades". Sterling Journal-Advocated. Retrieved June 12, 2016.
- Goldstein, Alan (August 11, 1993). "Computer Company to Move to Tampa". St. Petersburg Times. p. 1E.
- "Shares of Sykes Enterprises Nearly Double on Day One". The New York Times. Bloomberg Business News. May 1, 1996. Retrieved June 11, 2016.
- Barancik, Scott (July 28, 2000). "Sykes hands chief executive post to protege". St. Petersburg Times. Retrieved June 18, 2016.
- "John Sykes to head Sykes Enterprises, again". Tampa Bay Business Journal. November 13, 2000. Retrieved June 18, 2016.
- Hundley, Kris (August 3, 2004). "Founder of Sykes Retires - Again". St. Petersburg Times. Retrieved June 17, 2016.
- "Seasoned Executive, Charles E. Sykes, Appointed to President of Sykes Enterprises, Incorporated | Business Wire". www.businesswire.com. Retrieved 2017-02-02.
- Stevenson, Chelsea. "Sykes Enterprises to buy Alpine Access for $150M". MarketWatch. Retrieved 30 July 2012.
- Offenbacher, Claude. "Sykes Enterprises of Tampa, Florida, has leased the building at 175 West Broadway in Eugene as a call center. Dave Hauser, president of the Eugene Chamber of Commerce, says Sykes is expected to employ 350 people". KLCC Eugene. Retrieved 7 March 2013.
- "http://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/blog/morning-edition/2015/08/sykes-buys-dutch-firm-with-mobile-phone-expertise.html". www.bizjournals.com. Retrieved 2017-02-08. External link in
- "http://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/blog/morning-edition/2016/03/sykes-buys-fast-growing-utah-firm.html". www.bizjournals.com. Retrieved 2017-02-08. External link in
- "Sykes Enterprises, Incorporated Acquires Pure-Play & Best-of-Breed RPA Service Provider Symphony Ventures Limited". Globenewswire. October 22, 2018. Retrieved November 8, 2018.
- "Tampa's Sykes Enterprises sells in $2.2B all-cash deal". The St. Pete Catalyst. August 27, 2021.
- "Sykes Enterprises Inc: Company Profile". Bloomberg. Retrieved 2017-02-02.
- Business data for Sykes Enterprises, Incorporated: