Sydney R1-Class Tram
R1 class at Sydney Showground
|Constructed||1935 and 1950-1953|
|Train length||14.35 metres|
|Maximum speed||60 km/h|
|Power output||4 x 40 hp|
|Electric system(s)||600 V DC catenary|
|Current collection method||Trolley pole|
|Track gauge||1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in)|
When Clyde Engineering were delivering the last of the R class in 1935, it was decided to modify the final five to a design with a reduced drop-centre, eight more seats, no internal partitions, and one less door each side. These modified trams were classified as R1 class, and a further 50 were ordered from Clyde. In the late 1940s, a further 250 were ordered from Commonwealth Engineering. Steel shortages delayed their construction, with the first not delivered until September 1950. During construction the order was reduced to 100, with the last delivered to North Sydney depot on 17 September 1953.
The original five tramcars modified in 1935 (numbers 1933 to 1937) could be distinguished from later production runs by their side windows (which indicated the original door spacing for the R class) and the underframe which was built to accommodate a larger drop-centre.
When the Sydney tramway system closed, some of the class were disposed of by burning at Randwick Workshops, despite some being less than 8 years old at time of being burnt.
Ten have been preserved:
- 1933, 1951, 1979, 2001 and 2044 at the Sydney Tramway Museum
- 1971 on loan from the Sydney Tramway Museum to the Tramway Museum, St Kilda
- 1995 the last tram to run in Sydney, statically displayed Tramsheds in the old Rozelle Tram Depot
- 1936 at The Brisbane Tramway Museum, Ferny Grove (yet to be restored)
- 1948 and 2064 retained privately
- MacCowan, Ian (1990). The Tramways of New South Wales. Oakleigh: Ian MacCowan. pp. 135–138. ISBN 0 949600 25 3.
- "Sydney Tramway Museum Fleet Register" (PDF). Sydney Tramway Museum. Retrieved 4 September 2013.
- Bought for a bargain $50, Sydney’s last tram on track for a makeover Inner West Courier 5 February 2015
Media related to Sydney R1-Class Tram at Wikimedia Commons