Sydney Howard Smith
|Full name||Sydney Howard Smith|
|Country (sports)||United Kingdom|
|Born||3 February 1872|
Stroud, Gloucestershire, UK
|Died||27 March 1947 (aged 75)|
Stroud, Gloucestershire, UK
|Turned pro||1891 (amateur tour)|
|Plays||Right-handed (one-handed backhand)|
|Career record||318–56 (85.03%) |
|Career titles||52 |
|Highest ranking||No. 2 (1899, Karoly Mazak)|
|Grand Slam Singles results|
|Wimbledon||F (1899, 1900Ch, 1905)|
|US Open||2R (1904)|
|Grand Slam Doubles results|
|Wimbledon||W (1902, 1906)|
|Davis Cup||W (1905, 1906)|
Sydney Smith was the first All England Badminton Men's Singles champion in 1900. He reached his first Wimbledon singles final in 1899, beating Herbert Roper Barrett in an epic five set semi final before lising the all comers final to Arthur Gore in four sets. In 1900 Smith beat Gore in the all comers final at Wimbledon, before losing to Reginald Doherty in the challenge round in four sets. In 1905, Smith beat Holcombe Ward, Wilberforce Eaves, William Larned and Major Ritchie before losing the all comers final in five sets to Norman Brookes. Smith and partner Frank Riseley won the Gentlemen's Doubles title at Wimbledon in 1902 and 1906. He was a member of the British Davis Cup team in 1905 and 1906. Tennis analyst Karoly Mazak ranked Smith as the World No. 2 player in 1899. He also won the Welsh Championships singles title 10 times (1896-1906) and the Northern Lawn Tennis Championships singles title 7 times (1899-1905).
Grand Slam finalsEdit
Singles: 1 runner-upEdit
|Loss||1900||Wimbledon||Grass||Reginald Doherty||8–6, 3–6, 1–6, 2–6|||
Doubles: 5 (2 titles, 3 runners-up)Edit
|Win||1902||Wimbledon||Grass||Frank Riseley|| Reginald Doherty
|4–6, 8–6, 6–3, 4–6, 11–9|||
|Loss||1903||Wimbledon||Grass||Frank Riseley|| Reginald Doherty
|4–6, 4–6, 4–6|||
|Loss||1904||Wimbledon||Grass||Frank Riseley|| Reginald Doherty
|1–6, 2–6, 4–6|||
|Loss||1905||Wimbledon||Grass||Frank Riseley|| Reginald Doherty
|2–6, 4–6, 8–6, 3–6|||
|Win||1906||Wimbledon||Grass||Frank Riseley|| Reginald Doherty
|6–8, 6–4, 5–7, 6–3, 6–3|||
- "Sydney Howard Smith: Career match record". thetennisbase.com. The Tennis Base. Retrieved 19 October 2017.
- "Sydney Howard Smith: Stats". tennisrachives.com. Tennis Archives. Retrieved 10 August 2016.
- Mazak, Karoly (2010). The Concise History of Tennis, p. 27.
- "Wimbledon player archive – Sidney Smith". AELTC.
- "Wimbledon Rolls of Honour / Gentlemen's Singles". Wimbledon official tournament website. Retrieved 16 October 2015.
- "Wimbledon Rolls of Honour / Gentlemen's Doubles". Wimbledon official tournament website. Retrieved 16 October 2015.
- Sydney Howard Smith at the Association of Tennis Professionals
- Sydney Howard Smith at the International Tennis Federation
- Sydney Howard Smith at the Davis Cup
- All England Champions 1899-2007
|This biographical article relating to English tennis is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article relating to English badminton is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|