Sybil (2006 – 27 July 2009) was a cat living at 11 and 10 Downing Street. Named after Sybil Fawlty from the television show Fawlty Towers, she was the pet of then Chancellor of the Exchequer, Alistair Darling.
Sybil, in her employment as the
Chief Mouser to the Cabinet Office
|Chief Mouser to the Cabinet Office|
September 2007 – January 2009
|Prime Minister||Gordon Brown|
|Preceded by||Humphrey (1997)|
|Succeeded by||Freya (2012)|
London, United Kingdom
|Died||27 July 2009 (aged 3)|
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
|Owned by||Alistair Darling|
When introduced in September 2007, Sybil, who was black and white, was the first cat at Downing Street since Humphrey was reportedly removed in November 1997, due to Cherie Blair's aversion to cats. In January 2009, she returned to Edinburgh. On 27 July 2009, she died in Edinburgh, after a short illness.
- Assinder, Nick (11 September 2007). "No 10 gets new feline first lady". BBC News. Retrieved 13 September 2007.
- "Trappings of family life threaten Humphrey's patch". Daily Telegraph. London. 6 May 1997. Archived from the original on 27 May 2002. Retrieved 25 January 2011.
- Prince, Rosa (12 September 2007). "Downing Street gets new cat". The Daily Mirror. Archived from the original on 4 December 2008. Retrieved 13 September 2007.
- McSmith, Andy (29 July 2009). "Farewell to the original New Labour cat". The Independent. Retrieved 30 October 2011.
- Crichton, Torcuil (28 July 2009). "Darling's cat Sybil dies after a short illness". The Herald. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
Title last held byHumphrey
| Chief Mouser to the Cabinet Office
Title next held byLarry
|This felid-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a mammal is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|