Swimming at the 2020 Summer Olympics – Men's 800 metre freestyle
The men's 800 metre freestyle event at the 2020 Summer Olympics will be held on 28 and 30 July at the Tokyo Aquatics Centre. It will be the event's recurrence to the Games for the first time in more than a century.
|Men's 800 metre freestyle|
at the Games of the XXXII Olympiad
|Venue||Tokyo Aquatics Centre|
Prior to this competition, the existing world and Olympic records were as follows.
|World record||Zhang Lin (CHN)||7:32.12||Rome, Italy||29 July 2009|||
|Olympic record||Emil Rausch (GER)||13:11.4 (880 yards)||St. Louis, United States||7 September 1904|||
The Olympic Qualifying Time for the event is 7:54.31. Up to two swimmers per National Olympic Committee (NOC) can automatically qualify by swimming that time at an approved qualification event. The Olympic Selection Time is 8:08.54. Up to one swimmer per NOC meeting that time is eligible for selection, allocated by world ranking until the maximum quota for all swimming events is reached. NOCs without a male swimmer qualified in any event can also use their universality place.
The competition consists of two rounds: heats and a final. The swimmers with the best 8 times in the heats advance to the final. Swim-offs are used as necessary to break ties for advancement to the next round.
|Tuesday, 28 July 2020||19:00||Heats|
|Thursday, 30 July 2020||10:30||Final|
The swimmers with the top 8 times, regardless of heat, advance to the final.
- "Tokyo 2020: Swimming Schedule". Tokyo 2020. Retrieved 30 January 2020.
- "FINA World Championships, Swimming: Flash! Zhang Lin Shatters Grant Hackett's 800 Free World Record in Victory". Swimming World Magazine. 29 July 2009. Retrieved 1 February 2020.
- "Swimming at the 1904 St. Louis Summer Games: Men's 880 yard Freestyle". Sports Reference. Retrieved 27 August 2016.
- "Tokyo 2020 – FINA Swimming Qualification System" (pdf). Tokyo 2020. FINA. Retrieved 29 January 2020.
- "FINA Swimming Rulebook, 2017–21" (PDF). FINA. Retrieved 29 January 2020.