Swimming at the 2020 Summer Olympics – Men's 200 metre butterfly
The men's 200 metre butterfly event at the 2020 Summer Olympics will be held in 2021 at the Tokyo Aquatics Centre. It will be the event's seventeenth consecutive appearance, having been held at every edition since 1956.
|Men's 200 metre butterfly|
at the Games of the XXXII Olympiad
|Venue||Tokyo Aquatics Centre|
Prior to this competition, the existing world and Olympic records were as follows.
|World record||Kristóf Milák (HUN)||1:50.73||Gwangju, South Korea||24 July 2019|||
|Olympic record||Michael Phelps (USA)||1:52.03||Beijing, China||13 August 2008|||
The Olympic Qualifying Time for the event is 1:56.48. Up to two swimmers per National Olympic Committee (NOC) can automatically qualify by swimming that time at an approved qualification event. The Olympic Selection Time is 1:59.97. Up to one swimmer per NOC meeting that time is eligible for selection, allocated by world ranking until the maximum quota for all swimming events is reached. NOCs without a male swimmer qualified in any event can also use their universality place.
The competition consists of three rounds: heats, semifinals, and a final. The swimmers with the best 16 times in the heats advance to the semifinals. The swimmers with the best 8 times in the semifinals advance to the final. Swim-offs are used as necessary to break ties for advancement to the next round.
The swimmers with the top 16 times, regardless of heat, advance to the semifinals.
The swimmers with the best 8 times, regardless of heat, advanced to the final.
- "Tokyo 2020: Swimming Schedule". Tokyo 2020. Retrieved 30 January 2020.
- Poggi, Alessandro (24 July 2019). "Kristof Milak breaks Michael Phelps' record to win 200m butterfly title in Gwangju". Olympic Channel. Retrieved 1 February 2020.
- "Michael Phelps world record shattered by 19-year-old at swimming worlds". NBC Sports. 24 July 2019. Retrieved 1 February 2020.
- Siddons, Larry (13 August 2008). "Water-Filled Goggles Can't Keep Phelps From Gold Mark". Bloomberg L.P. Retrieved 17 May 2013.
- "Tokyo 2020 – FINA Swimming Qualification System" (pdf). Tokyo 2020. FINA. Retrieved 29 January 2020.
- "FINA Swimming Rulebook, 2017–21" (PDF). FINA. Retrieved 29 January 2020.