Swimming at the 2020 Summer Olympics – Men's 1500 metre freestyle
The men's 1500 metre freestyle event at the 2020 Summer Olympics will be held on 31 July and 2 August at the Tokyo Aquatics Centre. It will be the event's twenty-seventh consecutive appearance, having been held at every edition since 1904.
|Men's 1500 metre freestyle|
at the Games of the XXXII Olympiad
|Venue||Tokyo Aquatics Centre|
Prior to this competition, the existing world and Olympic records were as follows.
|World record||Sun Yang (CHN)||14:31.02||London, United Kingdom||4 August 2012|||
|Olympic record||Sun Yang (CHN)||14:31.02||London, United Kingdom||4 August 2012|||
The Olympic Qualifying Time for the event is 15:00.99. Up to two swimmers per National Olympic Committee (NOC) can automatically qualify by swimming that time at an approved qualification event. The Olympic Selection Time is 15:28.02. Up to one swimmer per NOC meeting that time is eligible for selection, allocated by world ranking until the maximum quota for all swimming events is reached. NOCs without a male swimmer qualified in any event can also use their universality place.
The competition consists of two rounds: heats and a final. The swimmers with the best 8 times in the heats advance to the final. Swim-offs are used as necessary to break ties for advancement to the next round.
|Friday, 31 July 2020||19:00||Heats|
|Sunday, 2 August 2020||10:30||Final|
The swimmers with the top 8 times, regardless of heat, advance to the final.
- "Tokyo 2020: Swimming Schedule". Tokyo 2020. Retrieved 30 January 2020.
- Tucker, Jim (5 August 2012). "Sun Yang smashes 1500m freestyle world record at London Olympics". The Daily Telegraph (Sydney). Retrieved 12 July 2013.
- Auerbach, Nicole (4 August 2012). "China's Sun crushes world record by 3 seconds in 1,500". USA Today. Retrieved 12 July 2013.
- "Tokyo 2020 – FINA Swimming Qualification System" (pdf). Tokyo 2020. FINA. Retrieved 29 January 2020.
- "FINA Swimming Rulebook, 2017–21" (PDF). FINA. Retrieved 29 January 2020.