Swimming at the 2016 Summer Olympics – Women's marathon 10 kilometre
|Women's marathon 10 kilometre|
at the Games of the XXXI Olympiad
|Venue||Fort Copacabana, Rio de Janeiro|
|Dates||15 August 2016|
|Competitors||26 from 24 nations|
The women's 10 km open water marathon at the 2016 Olympics featured a field of 26 swimmers:
- 10: the top-10 finishers in the 10 km races at the 2015 World Championships
- 9: the top-9 finishers at the 2016 Olympic Marathon Swim Qualifier (June 11–12, 2016 in Setúbal, Portugal)
- 5: one representative from each FINA continent (Africa, Americas, Asia, Europe and Oceania). (These have been selected based on the finishes at the qualifying race in Setúbal.)
- 1: from the host nation (Brazil) if not qualified by other means. If Brazil already contained a qualifier in the race, this spot had been allocated back into the general pool from the 2016 Olympic qualifier race.
|Sharon van Rouwendaal||Netherlands||1:56:32.1|
|5||Haley Anderson||United States||1:57:20.2||+48.1|
|7||Keri-Anne Payne||Great Britain||1:57:23.9||+51.8|
|10||Ana Marcela Cunha||Brazil||1:57:29.0||+56.9|
|17||Erika Villaécija García||Spain||1:59:04.8||+2:32.7||Warning|
|18||Michelle Weber||South Africa||1:59:05.0||+2:32.9|
|19||Jana Pechanová||Czech Republic||1:59:07.7||+2:35.6|
- "Swimming at the 2016 Summer Olympics – Women's marathon 10 kilometre". Rio 2016. Retrieved 16 August 2016.
- "Rio 2016 – FINA Marathon Swimming Qualification System" (PDF). Rio 2016. FINA. Archived from the original (PDF) on 6 October 2015. Retrieved 23 January 2015.
- Keith, Braden (7 January 2015). "2016 Olympic Marathon Swim Qualifier returning to Setubal, Portugal". SwimSwam.com. Retrieved 23 January 2015.
- "Rio Olympics 2016: Sharon van Rouwendaal wins open water swim; Keri-Anne Payne seventh". BBC Sport. 15 August 2016. Retrieved 15 August 2016.