Swimming at the 2016 Summer Olympics – Men's 200 metre butterfly
|Men's 200 metre butterfly|
at the Games of the XXXI Olympiad
|Venue||Olympic Aquatics Stadium|
|Dates||8 August 2016 (heats &|
9 August 2016 (final)
|Competitors||29 from 21 nations|
As the most decorated Olympian of all-time, Michael Phelps got the opportunity to avenge the distance butterfly title that he lost in London four years earlier, when South Africa's Chad le Clos beat him to the wall. Moving to the front at the halfway turn, Phelps held off the Japanese challenger Masato Sakai by a 0.04-second margin to claim his twentieth Olympic gold medal and twenty-fifth overall in 1:53.36. Coming from sixth at the 150-metre turn, Sakai made a late surge on the final length to nearly upset Phelps towards a close finish, but he ended up taking the silver in 1:53.40. Meanwhile, Hungary's top seed and 2014 Youth Olympic champion Tamás Kenderesi powered home with a bronze in 1:53.62.
Le Clos could not produce another striking effort to halt the most decorated Olympian from snatching the title, as he was shut out of the medals to fourth in 1:54.06. Sakai's teammate Daiya Seto finished fifth in 1:54.82, with Denmark's Viktor Bromer following him to pick up the sixth spot in 1:55.64. Hungarian swimmer, 2008 Olympic silver medalist, and reigning world champion László Cseh commanded a brief lead on the initial length, but faded shortly to seventh place in 1:56.24. Belgium's Louis Croenen rounded out the field with an eighth-place time in 1:57.04.
Prior to this competition, the existing world and Olympic records were as follows.
|World record||Michael Phelps (USA)||1:51.51||Rome, Italy||29 July 2009|
|Olympic record||Michael Phelps (USA)||1:52.03||Beijing, China||13 August 2008|
|6||2||Quah Zheng Wen||Singapore||1:56.11|
|7||7||Kaio de Almeida||Brazil||1:57.45|
|2||3||Michael Phelps||United States||1:54.12||Q|
|3||5||Chad le Clos||South Africa||1:55.19||Q|
|7||2||Leonardo de Deus||Brazil||1:56.77|
|5||Michael Phelps||United States||1:53.36|
|4||6||Chad le Clos||South Africa||1:54.06|
- "Men's 200m Butterfly". Rio 2016. Retrieved 5 August 2016.
- "Michael Phelps gets 20th gold medal of career at Rio Olympics". CBS News. 10 August 2016. Retrieved 28 August 2016.
- Auerbach, Nicole (10 August 2016). "Michael Phelps wins gold in 200 fly, adds to record medal tally". USA Today. Retrieved 28 August 2016.
- "Michael Phelps wins 200 butterfly, helps 4x200 free relay team to gold". ESPN. 10 August 2016. Retrieved 28 August 2016.
- "Phelps avenges 2012 defeat in 200m butterfly". United States: Fox Sports. 10 August 2016. Retrieved 29 August 2016.
- McKirdy, Andrew (10 August 2016). "Sakai takes silver in 200 butterfly; Phelps claims 20th, 21st gold medals of career". The Japan Times. Retrieved 29 August 2016.
- "Message Sent: 21 and Counting for Michael Phelps". The New York Times. 10 August 2016. Retrieved 29 August 2016.
- "Michael Phelps Secures 20th Olympic Gold By Only .04 in 200 Butterfly". Swimming World Magazine. 10 August 2016. Retrieved 29 August 2016.
- "Chad le Clos finished with 200m fly?". News24. 10 August 2016. Retrieved 29 August 2016.
- Crouse, Karen (30 July 2012). "Phelps Rebounds Amid Boycott Threat". New York Times. Retrieved 9 July 2013.
- "Phelps bounces back with 200m fly world record triumph". Sydney Morning Herald. 31 July 2012. Retrieved 9 July 2013.
- Siddons, Larry (13 August 2008). "Water-Filled Goggles Can't Keep Phelps From Gold Mark". Bloomberg L.P. Retrieved 17 May 2013.