Swimming at the 2016 Summer Olympics – Men's 1500 metre freestyle
|Men's 1500 metre freestyle
at the Games of the XXXI Olympiad
|Venue||Olympic Aquatics Stadium|
|Dates||12 August 2016 (heats)
13 August 2016 (final)
|Competitors||46 from 32 nations|
Italian swimmer and 2015 world champion Gregorio Paltrinieri outlasted the field on the closing stages to become his country's first ever Olympic champion in the program's longest pool race. Strengthening his lead from start to finish, Paltrinieri headed into the 1,400-metre turn under a world-record pace, but fell off towards the end for the gold medal in 14:34.57. U.S. distance ace Connor Jaeger overhauled the sub-14:40 barrier with an American record of 14:39.48 for the silver. Meanwhile, Paltrinieri's countryman Gabriele Detti gave the Italians a further reason to celebrate, as he powered home with a bronze in 14:40.86, overtaking the American challenger Jordan Wilimovsky (14:45.03) by almost five seconds.
Australia's Mack Horton, who claimed the 400 m freestyle title on night one, picked up the fifth spot with a 14:49.54 to hold off a sprint race from Canada's Ryan Cochrane (14:49.61), two-time medalist in this event, by seven hundredths of a second. France's Damien Joly finished seventh in 14:52.73, with Norway's Henrik Christiansen (15:02.66) rounding out the top eight field.
China's world-record holder Sun Yang missed a chance to defend his Olympic title in this event, after posting the sixteenth fastest time (15:01.97) in the preliminary competition. Meanwhile, Tunisian swimmer and Beijing 2008 champion Oussama Mellouli failed to advance to the top eight final with a twenty-first place finish in his fifth Olympic appearance.
|World record||Sun Yang (CHN)||14:31.02||London, United Kingdom||4 August 2012|
|Olympic record||Sun Yang (CHN)||14:31.02||London, United Kingdom||4 August 2012|
|5||Connor Jaeger||United States||14:39.48||AM|
|4||3||Jordan Wilimovsky||United States||14:45.03|
- "Men's 1500m Freestyle". Rio 2016. Archived from the original on 6 August 2016. Retrieved 5 August 2016.
- "Olympics Rio 2016: Italy's Gregorio Paltrinieri leads from the front to win 1,500m freestyleo". EuroSport. 13 August 2016. Retrieved 6 September 2016.
- Bendeich, Mark; Trevelyan, Mark (13 August 2016). "Swimming: Paltrinieri turns 1,500m freestyle into race for silver". Reuters. Retrieved 6 September 2016.
- "Italians win gold, bronze in 1500m freestyle; Jaeger takes silver". NBC Olympics. 13 August 2016. Retrieved 6 September 2016.
- "Gregorio Paltrinieri Outlasts Competition For Italy's First Ever 1500 Free Gold Medal". Swimming World Magazine. 13 August 2016. Retrieved 6 September 2016.
- Hine, Chris (13 August 2016). "Northwestern's Jordan Wilimovsky finishes 4th in 1500 free". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 6 September 2016.
- Thomsen, Simon; Colgan, Paul (14 August 2016). "Italy wins its first 1500 freestyle gold, as Mack Horton fades to fifth". Business Insider. Retrieved 6 September 2016.
- Robertson, Grant (13 August 2016). "Ryan Cochrane denied medal in 1,500-metre freestyle with sixth-place finish". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved 6 September 2016.
- Trevelyan, Mark (13 August 2016). "Swimming: Paltrinieri fastest in 1,500m heats, surprised by Sun Yang exit". Reuters. Retrieved 6 September 2016.
- "Gregorio Paltrinieri Leads 1500 Prelims; Sun Yang Misses Finals". Swimming World Magazine. 13 August 2016. Retrieved 6 September 2016.
- "Sun Yang won't defend Olympic 1,500 free title in the pool". USA Today. 12 August 2016. Retrieved 6 September 2016.
- Tucker, Jim (5 August 2012). "Sun Yang smashes 1500m freestyle world record at London Olympics". The Daily Telegraph (Sydney). Retrieved 12 July 2013.
- Auerbach, Nicole (4 August 2012). "China's Sun crushes world record by 3 seconds in 1,500". USA Today. Retrieved 12 July 2013.