Swimming at the 2012 Summer Olympics – Women's 400 metre freestyle
|Women's 400 metre freestyle|
at the Games of the XXX Olympiad
|Venue||London Aquatics Centre|
|Date||July 29, 2012 (heats & final)|
|Competitors||35 from 27 nations|
|Winning time||4:01.45 OR|
France's Camille Muffat held off a sprint duel from a hard-charging American Allison Schmitt with every stroke on the final stretch to capture the event's second Olympic title for her nation, since Laure Manaudou topped the podium in 2004. She maintained her powerful lead from the start to edge out Schmitt by 0.32 seconds for the gold medal and a new Olympic record in 4:01.45. Meanwhile, Schmitt could not catch Muffat on a head-to-head duel to finish with an American record of 4:01.77 in the process of winning silver. Great Britain's Rebecca Adlington struggled through the race in her Olympic title defense, but brought out a raucous cheer from the home crowd to earn the bronze in 4:03.01.
Denmark's Lotte Friis finished off the podium with a fourth-place time and a national record in 4:03.98, while Italy's Federica Pellegrini, the reigning world record holder, faded to fifth in 4:04.50. Muffat's teammate Coralie Balmy (4:05.95), Canada's Brittany MacLean (4:06.24) and New Zealand's Lauren Boyle (4:06.25) rounded out the field.
Prior to this competition, the existing world and Olympic records were as follows.
|World record||Federica Pellegrini (ITA)||3:59.15||Rome, Italy||26 July 2009|||
|Olympic record||Federica Pellegrini (ITA)||4:02.19||Beijing, China||10 August 2008|||
The following records were established during the competition:
|July 29||Final||Camille Muffat||France||4:01.45||OR|
|5||Allison Schmitt||United States||4:01.77||AM|
|8||Rebecca Adlington||Great Britain||4:03.01|
|8||6||Lauren Boyle||New Zealand||4:06.25|
- "Swimming: Results & Schedules". London 2012. NBC Olympics. 29 July 2012. Archived from the original on 3 July 2013. Retrieved 7 July 2013.
- Norlander, Matt (29 July 2012). "More swim records fall: Muffat in 400 free; van der Burgh in 100 breaststroke". CBS Sports. Retrieved 8 July 2013.
- Baldwin, Alan (29 July 2012). "Muffat takes on Manaudou's mantle". Reuters. Retrieved 8 July 2013.
- "Vollmer, van der Burgh break world records at finals". London 2012. NBC Olympics. 29 July 2012. Archived from the original on 7 July 2013. Retrieved 7 July 2013.
- Bull, Andy (29 July 2012). "London 2012: Rebecca Adlington takes bronze behind Camille Muffat". Guardian.co.uk. Retrieved 7 July 2013.
- White, Duncan (29 July 2012). "London 2012 Olympics: Rebecca Adlington wins bronze medal in the 400m freestyle in Aquatics centre". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 7 July 2013.
- "2012 London Olympics: Camille Muffat Pips Allison Schmitt With Olympic Record in Women's 400 Free". Swimming World Magazine. 29 July 2012. Retrieved 7 July 2013.
- Rossingh, Danielle (30 July 2012). "Muffat Takes Adlington's Title to Leave Britain Waiting for Gold". Bloomberg. Retrieved 7 July 2013.
- "Torres Can't Lift Relay Team To Medal Stand". Sun-Sentinel. 27 July 2009. Retrieved 8 July 2013.
- Kitson, Robert (11 August 2008). "Olympics: Rebecca Adlington wins gold for Britain in 400m freestyle". Guardian.co.uk. Retrieved 19 May 2013.
- "Women's 400m Freestyle – Heats". London 2012. Retrieved 27 July 2012.