Swimming at the 2012 Summer Olympics – Women's 100 metre freestyle
|Women's 100 metre freestyle|
at the Games of the XXX Olympiad
|Venue||London Aquatics Centre|
|Date||August 1, 2012 (heats &|
August 2, 2012 (final)
|Competitors||50 from 44 nations|
|Winning time||53.00 OR|
Dutch swimmer Ranomi Kromowidjojo blasted a new Olympic record to become the country's third gold medalist in the event since Rie Mastenbroek topped the podium in 1936 and Inge de Bruijn in 2000. Flipping fourth at the halfway turn, she pulled ahead of a tightly-packed field to touch the wall first and improve her own record in 53.00. Belarus' Aliaksandra Herasimenia strengthened her lead on the first length under a world-record pace, but faded down the stretch to pick up a silver in 53.38. Meanwhile, China's Tang Yi produced a fast burst on the final lap to capture the bronze in 53.44.
Australia's Melanie Schlanger finished fourth in 53.47, while American teenage sensation Missy Franklin denied a chance for another Olympic medal with a fifth-place time in 53.64. Great Britain's home favorite Francesca Halsall (53.66), Denmark's Jeanette Ottesen (53.75), who shared the title with Herasimenia at the 2011 World Championships, and U.S. swimmer Jessica Hardy (54.02) rounded out the finale.
Before the breakthrough finale, Kromowidjojo threw down a top-seeded time of 53.05 to slice 0.07 seconds off the previous Olympic record set by Germany's defending champion Britta Steffen, who later missed the final roster with a twelfth-place finish (54.18) from the semifinals.
Among the fifty swimmers registered in the event, only forty-eight had competed. Sweden's five-time Olympian Therese Alshammar suffered from a pinched nerve in her neck, and decided to skip most of her events. Additionally, Australia's Cate Campbell scratched her first individual race because of a glandular fever.
Prior to this competition, the existing world and Olympic records were as follows.
|World record||Britta Steffen (GER)||52.07||Rome, Italy||31 July 2009|
|Olympic record||Britta Steffen (GER)||53.12||Beijing, China||15 August 2008|
The following records were established during the competition:
|August 1||Semifinal 2||Ranomi Kromowidjojo||Netherlands||53.05||OR|
|August 2||Final||Ranomi Kromowidjojo||Netherlands||53.00||OR|
|3||6||Jessica Hardy||United States||53.86||Q|
|1||3||Ranomi Kromowidjojo||Netherlands||53.05||Q, OR|
|2||7||Missy Franklin||United States||53.59||Q|
|6||Francesca Halsall||Great Britain||Q|
|8||1||Amy Smith||Great Britain||54.28|
|5||3||Missy Franklin||United States||53.64|
|6||7||Francesca Halsall||Great Britain||53.66|
|8||8||Jessica Hardy||United States||54.02|
- "Swimming: Results & Schedules". London 2012. NBC Olympics. 29 July 2012. Archived from the original on 3 July 2013. Retrieved 7 July 2013.
- "Kromowidjojo wins women's 100 free with OR". Fox News. 2 August 2012. Retrieved 10 July 2013.
- "Flying Dutchwoman: Kromowidjojo cruises to gold". Washington Examiner. 2 August 2012. Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 10 July 2013.
- "Herasimenia claims silver at London 2012". Belarusian Telegraph Agency. 3 August 2012. Archived from the original on 2013-07-10. Retrieved 10 July 2013.
- "China's Tang Yi bags bronze medal in women's 100m freestyle". China Daily. 2 August 2012. Retrieved 10 July 2013.
- "2012 London Olympics: Ranomi Kromowidjojo Clinches 100 Free Gold With Olympic Record; Aliaksandra Herasimenia, Tang Yi Get Silver-Bronze; Missy Franklin, Jessica Hardy Miss Podium". Swimming World Magazine. 2 August 2012. Archived from the original on 2013-11-05. Retrieved 10 July 2013.
- "Melanie Schlanger rues missing 100m free medal". The Australian. 2 August 2012. Retrieved 10 July 2013.
- "Soni wins gold, breaks world record in 200m breast". USA Swimming. 2 August 2012. Retrieved 10 July 2013.
- "2012 London Olympics: The Netherlands' Ranomi Kromowidjojo Clips Olympic Record in 100 Free Semis; Missy Franklin, Jessica Hardy Make Finals". Swimming World Magazine. 1 August 2012. Archived from the original on 2013-05-27. Retrieved 10 July 2013.
- "Nathan Adrian of U.S. wins 100-meter freestyle gold medal by smallest of margins". CBS News. 1 August 2012. Retrieved 10 July 2013.
- "2012 London Olympics: China's Tang Yi Posts Olympic Textile Best in 100 Free Prelims; Jessica Hardy, Missy Franklin Advance; Defending Champ Britta Steffen In". Swimming World Magazine. 1 August 2012. Archived from the original on 27 September 2013. Retrieved 10 July 2013.
- Wordsworth, Matt (1 August 2012). "Cate Campbell pulls out of 100m freestyle". ABC News Australia. Retrieved 10 July 2013.
- Bull, Andy (31 July 2009). "Fran Halsall dreams of puppy after freestyle silver at world championships". Guardian.co.uk. Retrieved 10 July 2013.
- Cowley, Michael (1 August 2009). "Australians cast in bronze as more records tumble". The Age. Retrieved 10 July 2013.
- "Steffen wins first swimming gold for Germany". NBC Olympics. 14 August 2008. Archived from the original on 2014-01-04. Retrieved 13 May 2013.
- "Women's 100m Freestyle – Heats". London 2012. Retrieved 27 July 2012.
- "Women's 100m Freestyle – Semifinals". London 2012. Retrieved 1 August 2012.
- "Women's 100m Freestyle – Final". London 2012. Retrieved 1 August 2012.