Swimming at the 2008 Summer Olympics – Women's 200 metre individual medley
|Women's 200 metre individual medley|
at the Games of the XXIX Olympiad
|Venue||Beijing National Aquatics Center|
|Date||August 11, 2008 (heats)|
August 12, 2008 (semifinals)
August 13, 2008 (final)
|Competitors||39 from 30 nations|
|Winning time||2:08.45 WR|
Australia's Stephanie Rice became the third swimmer in Olympic history to strike a medley double, since Michelle Smith did so in 1996 and Yana Klochkova in 2000 and 2004. She established a sterling time of 2:08.45 to lower her world record from the Olympic trials by almost half a second (0.50). Zimbabwe's Kirsty Coventry added a third silver to her collection, finishing with an African record of 2:08.59. U.S. swimmer Natalie Coughlin, who held the lead on the backstroke leg, picked up a bronze medal in 2:10.34.
Completing the second half of a difficult double, American Katie Hoff produced the same result from the 200 m freestyle, as she finished again in fourth place with a time of 2:10.68. Australia's Alicia Coutts placed fifth in 2:11.43, while Japan's Asami Kitagawa swam the outside lane to finish the race in sixth place at 2:11.56. On the strength of the breaststroke leg, Kitagawa won a swimoff for the last slot in the top 8 final over Hungary's Evelyn Verrasztó. Canada's Julia Wilkinson (2:12.43) and Poland's Katarzyna Baranowska (2:13.36) closed out the field.
Prior to this competition, the existing world and Olympic records were as follows.
|World record||Stephanie Rice (AUS)||2:08.92||Sydney, Australia||25 March 2008|
|Olympic record||Yana Klochkova (UKR)||2:10.68||Sydney, Australia||19 September 2000|
The following new world and Olympic records were set during this competition.
|August 12||Semifinal 1||Kirsty Coventry||Zimbabwe||2:09.53||OR|
|August 13||Final||Stephanie Rice||Australia||2:08.45||WR, OR|
|1||6||Kirsty Coventry||Zimbabwe||2:09.53||Q, OR|
|3||4||Katie Hoff||United States||2:10.90||Q|
|4||2||Katarzyna Baranowska||Poland||2:12.13||Q, NR|
|5||5||Hannah Miley||Great Britain||2:12.35|
|7||1||Mireia Belmonte García||Spain||2:13.45|
|1||5||Natalie Coughlin||United States||2:11.84||Q|
|8||8||Keri-Anne Payne||Great Britain||2:14.14|
|6||Natalie Coughlin||United States||2:10.34|
|4||3||Katie Hoff||United States||2:10.68|
- "Olympic Swimming Schedule". USA Today. 9 August 2008. Retrieved 14 May 2013.
- Cowley, Michael (14 August 2008). "Rice and shine". Brisbane Times. Retrieved 17 May 2013.
- "Rice claims medley double". ABC News. 13 August 2008. Retrieved 20 May 2013.
- Lohn, John (12 August 2008). "Olympics, Swimming: Stephanie Rice Clocks World Record to Win 200 IM". Swimming World Magazine. Archived from the original on 8 May 2013. Retrieved 17 May 2013.
- "Rice edges thrilling medley final". BBC Sport. 13 August 2008. Retrieved 20 May 2013.
- "World records fall in women's 200 free, 200 IM". ESPN. 13 August 2008. Retrieved 20 May 2013.
- Lohn, John (11 August 2008). "Olympics, Swimming: Kirsty Coventry Clocks Olympic Record in 200 IM Semis". Swimming World Magazine. Archived from the original on 2 May 2012. Retrieved 20 May 2013.
- "Rice out-touches Coventry for gold medal, Julia's rise through world rankings meteoric". Stratford Beacon-Herald. 13 August 2008. Retrieved 20 May 2013.
- "Rice claims new world mark for medley". The Age. 25 March 2008. Archived from the original on 27 May 2012. Retrieved 6 August 2008.