Swimming at the 2008 Summer Olympics – Women's 200 metre butterfly
|Women's 200 metre butterfly|
at the Games of the XXIX Olympiad
|Venue||Beijing National Aquatics Center|
|Date||August 12, 2008 (heats)|
August 13, 2008 (semifinals)
August 14, 2008 (final)
|Competitors||36 from 28 nations|
|Winning time||2:04.18 WR|
In front of a large home crowd inside the Water Cube, Liu Zige powered past the entire field to capture a first gold medal for the host nation in swimming. She set a new world record of 2:04.18 to cut off a 1.32-second standard set by Australia's Jessicah Schipper at the 2006 Pan Pacific Championships in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada. She also enjoyed her teammate Jiao Liuyang handing an entire medal haul for China with a one–two finish. Jiao earned a silver medal as she overhauled Schipper on the final lap, and touched the wall in 2:04.72. Meanwhile, Schipper added a second bronze to her hardware from the 100 m butterfly, outside the record time of 2:06.26.
Poland's Otylia Jędrzejczak, the defending Olympic champion, finished outside the medals in fourth place at 2:07.02. Having won a bronze medal from Athens four years earlier, Japan's Yuko Nakanishi earned a fifth spot in 2:07.32, holding off France's Aurore Mongel (2:07.36) to sixth by four hundredths of a second (0.04). Americans Elaine Breeden (2:07.57) and Kathleen Hersey (2:08.23) closed out the field.
Prior to this competition, the existing world and Olympic records were as follows.
|World record||Jessicah Schipper (AUS)||2:05.40||Victoria, Canada||17 August 2006|||
|Olympic record||Misty Hyman (USA)||2:05.88||Sydney, Australia||20 September 2000||-|
The following new world and Olympic records were set during this competition.
|August 14||Final||Liu Zige||China||2:04.18||WR, OR|
|3||2||Jemma Lowe||Great Britain||2:07.87|
|8||8||Kathryn Meaklim||South Africa||2:11.74|
|1||4||Liu Zige||China||2:06.25||Q, AS|
|6||Kathleen Hersey||United States||Q|
|6||2||Elaine Breeden||United States||2:07.73||Q|
|8||8||Ellen Gandy||Great Britain||2:10.60|
|7||8||Elaine Breeden||United States||2:07.57|
|8||7||Kathleen Hersey||United States||2:08.23|
- "Olympic Swimming Schedule". USA Today. 9 August 2008. Retrieved 14 May 2013.
- "Double delight for China". South China Morning Post. 13 August 2008. Archived from the original on 16 June 2013. Retrieved 20 May 2013.
- "Liu captures China's first Beijing swimming gold". NDTV. 13 August 2008. Retrieved 20 May 2013.
- Lohn, John (13 August 2008). "Olympics, Swimming: Liu Zige of China Sets World Record in Women's 200 Fly". Swimming World Magazine. Archived from the original on 25 May 2013. Retrieved 20 May 2013.
- "China goes 1–2 in women's 200 butterfly". USA Today. 13 August 2008. Retrieved 20 May 2013.
- "Schipper breaks 200m butterfly WR". ABC News. 17 August 2006. Retrieved 6 August 2008.