Swimming at the 1964 Summer Olympics – Women's 200 metre breaststroke
The women's 200 metre breaststroke event, included in the swimming competition at the 1964 Summer Olympics, took place on 11–12 October, at the Yoyogi National Gymnasium. In this event, swimmers covered four lengths of the 50-metre (160 ft) Olympic-sized pool employing the breaststroke. It was the ninth appearance of the event, which first appeared at the 1924 Summer Olympics in Paris. A total of 27 competitors from 15 nations participated in the event. Soviet Union's Galina Prozumenshchikova and Svetlana Babanina won their country's first ever medals in this event, with a gold and bronze medal respectively. Claudia Kolb's silver medal was the United States' second ever medal in this event, after Agnes Geraghty's silver in the inaugural event in 1924. In the heats, Australian Christine Barnetson was disqualified for an incorrect breaststroke, and Hungarian Márta Egerváry withdrew from the competition.
|Women's 200 metre breaststroke|
at the Games of the XVIII Olympiad
|Venue||Yoyogi National Gymnasium|
|Date||11 October (heats)|
12 October (final)
|Competitors||27 from 15 nations|
|Winning time||2:46.4 (OR)|
Prior to this competition, the existing world and Olympic records were:
|World record||Galina Prozumenshchikova (URS)||2:45.4 s||Berlin, East Germany||17 May 1964|||
|Olympic record||Anita Lonsbrough (GBR)||2:49.5 s||Rome, Italy||27 August 1960|||
The following records were established during the competition:
|11 October||Heat 2||Bärbel Grimmer||United Team of Germany||2:48.6||OR|
|11 October||Heat 3||Svetlana Babanina||Soviet Union||2:48.3||OR|
|12 October||Final||Galina Prozumenshchikova||Soviet Union||2:46.4||OR|
|6||Galina Prozumenshchikova||Soviet Union||2:46.4||OR|
|2||Claudia Kolb||United States||2:47.6|
|4||Svetlana Babanina||Soviet Union||2:48.6|
|4||3||Stella Mitchell||Great Britain||2:49.0|
|5||1||Jill Slattery||Great Britain||2:49.6|
|6||5||Bärbel Grimmer||United Team of Germany||2:51.0|
|8||7||Ursula Küper||United Team of Germany||2:53.9|
- "Swimming at the 1964 Tokyo Summer Games: Women's 200 metres Breaststroke". Olympics at Sports-Reference.com. Sports Reference, LLC. Archived from the original on 17 April 2020. Retrieved 2 July 2012.
- "Reynolds Qualifies". The Sydney Morning Herald. Fairfax Media. 12 October 1964. p. 17.
- "The Games of the XVIII Olympiad Tokyo 1964: The Official Report of the Organising Committee" (PDF). Volume Two, Part 2. Organizing Committee of the Games of the XVIII Olympiad Tokyo. 1964. pp. 532–533. Retrieved 2 July 2012.
- Albert Schoenfeld, ed. (29 September 1964). "Results from the 1964 Olympic Games (Tokyo)" (PDF). Swimming World & Junior Swimmer. Albert Schoenfeld. p. 46. ISSN 0039-7431. Retrieved 2 July 2012.
- "Swimming at the 1964 Tokyo Summer Games: Women's 200 metres Breaststroke Round One". Olympics at Sports-Reference.com. Sports Reference, LLC. Archived from the original on 17 April 2020. Retrieved 2 July 2012.