Sweet Valley High (TV series)
Francine Pascal's Sweet Valley High is an American comedy-drama series very loosely based on Francine Pascal's book series of the same name. The series ran from September 5, 1994 to October 14, 1997, and was produced (and distributed) by Saban Entertainment. The rights are now held by Disney-ABC Domestic Television.
|Sweet Valley High|
|Based on||Sweet Valley High|
by Francine Pascal
|Developed by||Josh Goldstein|
Jeremy Vincent Garrett
|Theme music composer||Ron Wasserman|
|Opening theme||"Sweet Valley High" performed by Kathy Fisher|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||4|
|No. of episodes||88 (list of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Francine Pascal|
Lance H. Robbins
|Production location(s)||Alexander Hamilton High School, Los Angeles, California|
David E. West
|Running time||30 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Teen Dream Productions, Inc.|
|Original network||Broadcast Syndication (1994–1996)|
|Original release||September 5, 1994 –|
October 14, 1997
The series revolves around the lives of Elizabeth and Jessica Wakefield, beautiful blonde twins who live in the fictitious Sweet Valley, California, and their gang of friends. Elizabeth is warm, friendly and sincere, while her twin sister Jessica is flirty, mischievous, and irresponsible.
|First aired||Last aired|
|1||22||September 5, 1994||February 20, 1995|
|2||22||September 11, 1995||March 25, 1996|
|3||22||August 26, 1996||February 10, 1997|
|4||22||September 15, 1997||October 14, 1997|
Cast and charactersEdit
- Brittany Daniel as Jessica "Jess" Wakefield, the outgoing, party loving, fashionable, and wilder Wakefield twin
- Cynthia Daniel as Elizabeth "Liz" Wakefield, the quieter, more sensible and down to earth Wakefield twin
- Amarilis (season 1) as Patty Gilbert, Jessica's cheerleader friend
- Ryan James Bittle (seasons 1as2) and Jeremy Vincent Garrett (seasons 3as4) as Todd Wilkins, Elizabeth's boyfriend
- Brock Burnett (season 1) and Christopher Jackson (season 2) as Bruce Patman, Todd and Winston's rival, and enemy of Jessica's
- Amy Danles as Enid Rollins, Elizabeth's best friend
- Bridget Flanery (seasons 1as2) and Shirlee Elliot (seasons 3as4) as Lila Fowler, Jessica's best friend
- Michael Perl as Winston Egbert, Todd's best friend
- Harley Rodriguez as Manny Lopez, Todd's and Winston's friend, and early on the right-hand man to Bruce Patman, Enid's eventual boyfriend
- Tyffany Hayes (seasons 2as4) as Cheryl "Tatyana" Thomas, friend of Elizabeth, Jessica and Todd
- John Jocelyn (season 3) as Reginald "Shred" Patman, Bruce's cousin and Winston's friend
- Manley Pope (season 4) as Devon Whitelaw, boyfriend to Elizabeth and Jessica
- Andrea Savage (season 4) as Renata Vargas, Jessica's and Lila's friend, and briefly Todd's girlfriend
Home video releasesEdit
In 1996, two Sweet Valley High VHS tapes were released by Warner Home Video: 'Kidnapped' and 'Dangerous Love', which featured exclusive music videos based off the songs featured in the TV series.
|DVD Name||Ep #||Release Date|
|The Complete First Season||22||March 8, 2005|
A DVD release of Season two was also planned, with an old promotional trailer being posted online in 2013, however this release was scrapped due to unknown reasons.
In 1995, a soundtrack album was released featuring original songs that were in the series along with a longer version of the show's theme song.
- "Sweet Valley High Theme" (Long version)
- "Lotion" (Jessica's Theme)
- "Rose Colored Glasses"
- "She's Got the Answers"
- "Not Myself Today"
- "Rest of My Life"
- "My Jessica"
- "All to Myself"
- "My World"
- "On Our Own"
- "She Walks in Roses"
- "Sweet Valley High Theme" (TV version)
- "Double The Action At 'Sweet Valley High'". Chicago Tribune. 1994-06-21. Retrieved 2010-10-17.
- "It's Bubblegum Tv". Sun Sentinel. Retrieved 2010-10-17.
- Ultimatedisney.com, Sweet Valley High dvd review
- "Sweet Valley High:Kidnapped" – via Amazon.
- "Sweet Valley High:Dangerous Love" – via Amazon.
- Justin Gross (12 August 2013). "Sweet Valley High Trailer: VO by Justin Gross" – via YouTube.