Swanand Kirkire (Marathi: स्वानंद किरकिरे) (born 1972) is an Indian lyricist, playback singer, writer, assistant director, actor and dialogue writer, both in television with Marathi and Hindi films.
Kirkire in 2012
|Born||1972 (age 46–47)|
|Alma mater||National School of Drama|
|Occupation||lyricist, musician, screenwriter, actor, author|
Kirkire won the National Film Award for Best Lyrics twice: first in 2006 for the song "Bande Me Tha Dum...Vande Mataram" from the film Lage Raho Munna Bhai, and then in 2009, for the song "Behti Hawaa Sa Tha Woh..." from the film 3 Idiots. He received Filmfare Award nomination for Best Lyrics for the song "Piyu Bole" in Parineeta (2005). In 2018, at the 66th National Film Awards he won the National Film Award for Best Supporting Actor for the Marathi film Chumbak.
Early life and educationEdit
Swanand Kirkire was born and brought up at Rambagh in Indore-based Marathi speaking family to Chintamani (father) and Neelambari (mother), both of whom are classical singers. However, Swanand had no formal training in singing.
Swanand's first brush with direction came when he wrote and directed a play on freedom fighter Bhagat Singh in New Delhi. During his theatre days, he learned that Manju Singh, a television serial producer, was looking for a writer for her serial Swaraj, also on Bhagat Singh. He went to Mumbai and had an apartment in Warden Road. When the serial ended, he gave up his apartment and settled down in Goregaon, a Mumbai suburb.
Swanand was later introduced to filmmaker Pankaj Parashar, who in turn introduced him to director Sudhir Mishra. Mishra was doing a serial called Talash, with his assistant Ruchi Narain. He started assisting Sudhir while he was making Calcutta Mail, and then it continued with Chameli and Hazaaron Khwaishein Aisi.
Swanand had written a song during his theatre days, "Bawra mann dekhne chala ek sapna". Sudhir Mishra heard the song and decided to use it in his film Hazaaron Khwaishein Aisi. Music composer Shantanu Moitra decided to record it in Swanand's voice. When the music was out it became an instant hit. Though the film's release got delayed, the music was sold out. It became popular and the music company decided to re-release it during the film's release.
As Playback SingerEdit
|2003||Hazaaron Khwaishein Aisi||Four Songs |
1) Bavra Mann
2) Aye Sajni
3) Qawwali – Mann Yeh Bavra
4) Aye Sajni – The Club Mix
|2005||Parineeta||One Song 1) Raat Hamari Toh|
|Sehar||One Song 1) Palken Jhukao Na|
|2007||Khoya Khoya Chand||One Song 1) Khoya Khoya Chand|
|Gulaal||One Song 1) Sheher|
|Eklavya: The Royal Guard||Two Songs |
1) Janu Naa
2) Suno Kahani
|Laaga Chunari Mein Daag||One Song 1) Hum To Aise Hain|
|2008||Uttaran||TV Serial One Song 1) Uttaran Title Song|
|2009||3 Idiots||Two Song 1) Aal Izz well |
2) Aal Izz well – Remix
|2010||Striker||One Song 1) Maula Ajab Teri Karni Maula|
|Well Done Abba||One Song 1) Hum Toh Apni Bawdi Lenge|
|Raajneeti||One Song 1) Ishq Barse|
|Deswa||Bhojpuri movie, One Song |
1) Manwa Ke Maani
|2011||Deool||Marathi movie, Two Songs |
1) Phoda Datta Naam Taho
2) Tu Jhop Tujha Datta Jaga Aahe
|The Dewarists||Episode 2 Kya Khayaal Hai|
|2012||Arjun: The Warrior Prince||One Song 1) Manva|
|Krishna Aur Kans||Two Song 1) Advent of Krishna (Ayega Koi Ayega) |
2) Natkhat Natkhat
|Barfi!||One Song 1) Ala Barfi Version 2|
|English Vinglish||One Song 1) Navrai Majhi|
|Paanch Adhyay||One Song 1) Uda Jaaye|
|Satyamev Jayate||One Song 1) O Ri Chiraiya|
|Coke Studio Mtv Season 2||Two Songs 1) Lagi Lagi |
|2013||Inkaar||Two Songs 1) Darmiyan |
2) Maula Tu Malik Hai
|Ammaa Ki Boli||One Song 1) Maa|
|Lootera||One Song 1) Monta Re|
|2014||Satyamev Jayate (Season 2)||One song 1) Kaun Madari Yahan Kaun Jhamura|
|Bhopal: A Prayer for Rain||One Song 1) Dhuan Dhuan|
|Crazy Cukkad Family||One Song 1) Chand Yeh|
|2015||Masaan||One Song 1) Tu Kisi Rail Si|
|2017||Hanuman: Da' Damdaar||One song 1) The Maa Song|
As Music DirectorEdit
1)Maula Ajab Teri Karni Maula
|2014||Bhopal: A Prayer for Rain||One Song 1) Dhuan Dhuan|
|2003||Hazaaron Khwaishein Aisi||Villager|
|2004||Chameli||Search party member|
|2007||Eklavya: The Royal Guard||Havaldar Bablu|
|2014||Sonali Cable||Dattaram Tandel (Baba)|
|2015||Crazy Cukkad Family||Pawan beri|
|2016||Irudhi Suttru/Saala Khadoos||Shopkeeper|
|2017||Badrinath Ki Dulhania||Vaidehi's father|
|Mirza Juuliet||Rajan's father|
|Chumbak||Prasanna National Film Award for Best Supporting Actor|
|2019||Parchhayee - Ghost stories by Ruskin Bond||Peon Khatri||ZEE5|||
|2018||Table No. 5||ZEE5|||
|2019||The Verdict - State vs Nanavati||ZEE5|
As Dialogue WriterEdit
|2007||Eklavya: The Royal Guard|
|Sivaji||Dubbed Hindi Dialogues|
|2010||Enthiran||Dubbed Hindi Dialogues – known as Robot in Hindi|
|2014||Lingaa||Dubbed Hindi dialogues|
As Associate DirectorEdit
|2003||Hazaaron Khwaishein Aisi|
|National Film Awards|
|2006||Best Lyrics||"Bande Me Tha Dum" from Lage Raho Munna Bhai||Won|
|2010||Best Lyrics||"Behti Hawa Sa Tha Woh" from 3 Idiots||Won|
|2013||Best Lyrics||"Maanjha" from Kai Po Che||Won|
|2018||Best Supporting Actor||Chumbak||Won|
|Mirchi Music Awards|
|2012||Album of The Year||Barfi!||Nominated|
|Indie Pop Song of the Year||"Chiraiyya"|
- "INTERVIEW – SWANAND KIRKIRE". Screen. 13 October 2006.[dead link]
- "Swanand Kirkire to multi-task for Ram Advani's Talisman". Radioandmusic.com. Archived from the original on 8 January 2009. Retrieved 13 August 2012.
- "Poetry in motion pictures". Live Mint. 25 December 2009.
- Shailaja Tripathi (5 February 2009). "Vocals Beyond the Verbal". The Hindu. Retrieved 21 May 2009.
- Eros Entertainment (29 September 2006). "Official Clip:Bande Mein tha dum". erosentertainment.com. Retrieved 21 May 2009.
- "57th NATIONAL FILM AWARDS FOR 2009" (PDF). Retrieved 13 August 2012.
- awards IMDb.
- "66th National Film Awards" (PDF). Directorate of Film Festivals. Retrieved 9 August 2019.
- "Nawazuddin and I used to fight a lot: Swanand Kirkire". The Times of India. 18 February 2014. Retrieved 27 February 2014.
- "Layered Lives". The Indian Express. 5 November 2007. Archived from the original on 3 October 2012.
- "Interview Lyrics – Swanand Kirkire". Hindisong.com. Retrieved 13 August 2012.
- "The Man Who Made It All Well: Theatre veteran, award-winning lyricist, and now filmmaker". Tehelka Magazine, Vol 7, Issue 39, Dated 2 October 2010. Archived from the original on 5 September 2012. Retrieved 13 August 2012.
- "'Mumbai language is complete bhelpuri'". Rediff.com Movies. 11 October 2006.
- Music Reviews | Khoya Khoya Chand | Composer Shantanu Moitra | Swanand Kirkire
- "Swanand Kirkire, Shantanu Moitra's music lessons". The Indian Express. ScreenIndia.Com. Retrieved 13 August 2012.[dead link]
- Kirkire, Swanand. "Bobby Jasoos". The Times of India. Retrieved 8 July 2014.
- "Swanand Kirkire - Parchayee, Zee5". The Digital Hash. Retrieved 28 June 2019.
- "Ruskin Bond's 'The Wind On Haunted Hill' on ZEE5: Here's what this ghost story is all about!". DNA India. 22 January 2019. Retrieved 28 June 2019.
- Vaid, Kritika (21 May 2018). "Zee5's Mystery Thriller Web Series 'Table No 5' Is Perfect To Binge-Watch". India.com. Retrieved 28 June 2019.
- Jain, Ganesh (22 June 2019). "Table No. 5 The Thriller Web series on Zee 5 Revolving around a restaurant's is Worth Watching". Cine Talkers. Retrieved 28 June 2019.
- "Nominations - Mirchi Music Award Hindi 2012". www.radiomirchi.com. Retrieved 27 April 2018.