Susan Shapiro is the American author of twelve books, including The Byline Bible, Five Men Who Broke My Heart, Only as Good as Your Word, Lighting Up, Speed Shrinking, and What's Never Said, and coauthor of The Bosnia List and the New York Times bestseller Unhooked.
Shapiro was on the board of the National Book Critics Circle and has been an award-winning writing professor at The New School and New York University since 1993. Her writing and publishing advice to students was compiled in The Byline Bible.
- The Male-to-Female Dictionary, Berkley Trade, 1996, ISBN 978-1572971165
- Food for the Soul: Selections from the Holy Apostles Soup Kitchen Writers Workshop, co-edited with Elizabeth Maxwell, Seabury Books, 2000, ISBN 978-1596270015
- Five Men Who Broke My Heart: A Memoir, Delacorte Press, 2004, ISBN 978-0385337236
- Lighting Up: How I Stopped Smoking, Drinking, and Everything Else I Loved in Life Except Sex: A Memoir, Delacorte Press, 2004, ISBN 978-0385338332
- Secrets of a Fix-up Fanatic: How to Meet & Marry Your Match, Delta, 2006, ISBN 978-0385340595
- Only as Good as Your Word: Writing Lessons from My Favorite Literary Gurus, Seal Press, 2007, ISBN 978-1580052207
- Toxic Friends: The Antidote for Women Stuck in Complicated Friendships, St. Martin's Press, 2009, ISBN 978-0312386399
- Unhooked: How to Quit Anything, MJF, 2014, ISBN 978-1606712269
- The Bosnia List: A Memoir of War, Exile, and Return, co-authored with Kenan Trebincevic, Penguin Books, 2014, ISBN 978-0143124573
- Kick Your Addiction: How to Quit Anything, co-authored with Frederick Woolverton, Skyhorse Publishing, 2014, ISBN 978-1629145877
- The Byline Bible: Get Published in Five Weeks, Writer's Digest Books, 2018, ISBN 978-1440353680
- Barbie: 60 Years of Inspiration, Assouline, 2019, ISBN 978-1614287575
- Shapiro, Susan, "Making Room for My Junk Man", The New York Times, September 12, 2009, accessed September 5, 2011.
- "Opinion | College Advice I Wish I'd Taken". Retrieved 2018-11-20.
- "What to Do When Your Dad Doesn't Approve of Your Lifestyle". Oprah.com. Retrieved 2018-11-20.
- Rachel Kramer Bussel, "Susan Shapiro, author, Lighting Up and Five Men Who Broke My Heart: A Memoir" Archived 2008-12-05 at the Wayback Machine, Gothamist, March 1, 2005, accessed September 5, 2011.
- Rosella Eleanor LaFevre, "Susan Shapiro, writer and teacher extraordinaire", two.one.five, February 20, 2011, accessed September 5, 2011.
- National Book Critics Circle Board, accessed September 5, 2011.
- "Blood from a Door Nail: Talking with Susan Shapiro". The Rumpus.net. 2018-08-13. Retrieved 2018-11-20.
- "Weddings; Susan Shapiro, Charlie J. Rubin", The New York Times, July 28, 1996, accessed September 3, 2011.