Susan Easton Black
Susan Easton Black (born Susan Lindsay Ward in 1944) is a retired professor of Church History and Doctrine at Brigham Young University (BYU) in Provo, Utah. She is also an author of several books related to Joseph Smith, Jr. and the early history of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church).
Black holds an Ed.D. from BYU, where she joined the faculty in 1978. Black received the Karl G. Maeser Distinguished Faculty Award in 2000. She also served as an associate dean of General Education and Honors.
In 2009, Black was a founding trustee of the LDS Church-based Nauvoo University, a school that was intended to be the successor to the University of Nauvoo (1841–45) that ended after Joseph Smith's murder triggered the Mormon pioneers' migration further west, but the modern school ceased operation in 2010.
She was married to Harvey B. Black, who was a professor of Instructional Psychology and Technology at BYU prior to his death.
In 2013, she married George Durrant. They later served as missionaries in the Nauvoo Illinois Temple. As of January 2016[update], they had served several church service historical missions in St. George, Utah.
Among her books are Joseph Smith: Praise to the Man (with John Telford), Joseph, Exploring the Life and Ministry of the Prophet (with Andrew Skinner), Setting the Record Straight: Emma Smith: An Elect Lady, Setting the Record Straight: Joseph Smith, the Mormon Prophet, Son of Man, Vol. 1: The Early Years (with Liz Lemon Swindle), The A to Z of Church History and Doctrine and Covenants, and Who's Who in the Doctrine and Covenants.
- "Susan Easton Black Fireside on Brigham Young to International Chapter Chairs" (PDF). International Volunteer Leadership Conference 2004. Brigham Young University. October 2, 2004. Archived from the original (PDF) on May 3, 2006. Retrieved 2009-05-11.
- "Board of Trustees", Nauvoo University, archived from the original on 2009-07-08, retrieved 2009-05-13
- Gardner, David P. (1992). "Education: Attitudes Toward Education". Encyclopedia of Mormonism. Macmillan. Retrieved 2009-08-18.
- Evan Ivie. "Status Report on Nauvoo University". Nauvoo University. Retrieved 2010-09-09.
- "Chamber Inspiration Luncheon featuring Susan Easton Black and George Durrant". Southern Utah Cares. St. George, Utah Chamber of Commerce. Retrieved 5 April 2016.
- "Susan Easton-Black & George Durrant". Southern Utah Live. St. George Area Chamber of Commerce. Retrieved 5 April 2016.
- "Easton-Black, Durrant to present lecture series beginning Nov. 8". The [St. George, Utah] Spectrum. The Spectrum, St. George, Utah. Retrieved 5 April 2016.
- Listing of books by Susan Easton Black at Deseret Book