Suresnes (French pronunciation: [sy.ʁɛn]) is a commune in the western suburbs of Paris, France. It is located in Hauts-de-Seine, 9.3 km (5.8 mi) from the centre of Paris and had a population of 45,039 in 2006. The nearest communes are Neuilly-sur-Seine, Puteaux, Rueil-Malmaison, Saint-Cloud and Boulogne-Billancourt. It is also on the Île-de-France tramway Line 2 giving access to La Defense and its rail services. The Foch Hospital is located in the city.
Suresnes Town Hall
Paris and inner ring départements
|• Mayor||Christian Dupuy (LR)|
|3.79 km2 (1.46 sq mi)|
|• Density||13,000/km2 (34,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|Elevation||26–162 m (85–531 ft) |
(avg. 36 m or 118 ft)
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
In 1974 the Spanish Socialist Workers Party held its 26th Congress in Suresnes (it was illegal in Spain under Franco). Felipe González was elected Secretary General, replacing Rodolfo Llopis Ferrándiz. González was from the "reform" wing of the party, and his victory signaled a defeat for the historic and veteran wing of the Party. The direction of the party shifted from the exiles to the young people in Spain who had not fought in the Spanish Civil War.
People from SuresnesEdit
- Though she was not born in Suresnes, Noor Inayat Khan the 'Indian Spy Princess', lived there with her family in a large estate known as 'Fazal Manzil' from 1920 to 1940 during which time she studied at the Sorbonne. Noor Inayat Khan later returned to France as an agent of the Special Operations Executive, spying for the Allied cause in occupied France. She was executed by the Germans and posthumously awarded the Croix de Guerre and the George Cross.
- Luc Lang (born 1956), writer
- Alexis Salatko (born 1959), writer
Technician degrees are available at the lycée Paul-Langevin. Suresnes also hosts the headquarters of the Institut national supérieur de formation et de recherche pour l'éducation des jeunes handicapés et les enseignements adaptés, public college in the fields of disability.
Suresnes is twinned with:
- "Populations légales 2016". INSEE. Retrieved 25 April 2019.
- Dalton, Samantha (2012-11-08). "BBC News - Noor Inayat Khan: The Indian princess who spied for Britain". Bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 2013-10-01.
- "BBC to take iconic TV shows to Burma as sanctions ease - News". uk asia online. 2012-12-20. Retrieved 2013-10-01.
- "Nekbakht Foundation". Nekbakht Foundation. Retrieved 2013-10-01.
- "The Tribune - Magazine section - Saturday Extra". Tribuneindia.com. Retrieved 2013-10-01.
- "BBC News - Memorial for 'Spy Princess' Noor Inayat Khan unveiled". Bbc.co.uk. 2012-11-08. Retrieved 2013-10-01.
- "British towns twinned with French towns [via WaybackMachine.com]". Archant Community Media Ltd. Archived from the original on 5 July 2013. Retrieved 2013-07-20.
- "Kragujevac Twin Cities". ©2009 Information service of Kragujevac City. Retrieved 2009-02-21.
- "International Contacts". Targovishte Municipality. Archived from the original on 2006-08-21. Retrieved 2013-08-29.