Supreme Understanding, also known as Dr. Sujan Dass, is an American author and historian. He is best known for the book How to Hustle and Win: A Survival Guide For The Ghetto. The sequel, How To Hustle And Win Part 2: Rap, Race And Revolution features a foreword by hip hop artist stic.man of Dead Prez. He has also published several history books, including When the World was Black: The Untold History of the World’s First Civilizations: Part 1 and Part 2.
|Education||Morehouse College (BA, 2001)|
Georgia State University (M.Ed, 2004)
Argosy University (D.Ed)
|Occupation||Academic, activist, author, historian|
Supreme Understanding was the only child born to Bangladeshi parents in Jersey City. Supreme is a member of the Nation of Gods and Earths. Supreme went from being a juvenile delinquent to obtaining a doctorate degree in education at the age of 26. The focus of his literary work is on helping at-risk youth. His work has taken him to hundreds of cities across America as well as internationally. Coming from a similar upbringing as his target audience, his work is more relatable. Understanding currently teaches elementary school children in the Atlanta Public Schools system.
Awards and honorsEdit
In 2004, Supreme Understanding was awarded a Japan-Fulbright Memorial Fund Scholarship, and was invited to Japan as a guest of the Japanese Ministry of Education. In 2008, Supreme Understanding won the Atlanta Family Awards for Excellence in Education for his work in increasing student achievement. He was named "Teacher of the Year" in Atlanta Public Schools in 2010.
Supreme Understanding's publications are often written in a unique writing style, using plain language. About When the World Was Black he said, "This is heavy stuff, so I wanted to make sure it would be easy enough for a high school student to read and enjoy." This writing style has developed from working in some of the nation's most disadvantaged schools Other works such as The Hood Health Handbook have partly been published in African American English.
- How To Hustle And Win: A Survival Guide For The Ghetto ISBN 978-0981617008
- How To Hustle And Win Part 2: Rap, Race And Revolution ISBN 978-0981617091
- Knowledge Of Self - A Collection Of Wisdom On The Science Of Everything In Life ISBN 978-0-9816170-2-2
- Real Life is No Fairy Tale ISBN 978-0-9816170-3-9
- The Hood Health Handbook Volume 1 ISBN 978-1935721321
- The Hood Health Handbook Volume 2 ISBN 978-1935721338
- Black Rebellion Eyewitness Accounts Of Major Slave Revolts ISBN 978-0981617046
- A Taste of Life Cookbook ISBN 978-1935721109
- When the World was Black: The Untold History of the World’s First Civilizations: Part 1 ISBN 978-1935721048
- When the World was Black: The Untold History of the World’s First Civilizations: Part 2 ISBN 978-1935721055
- The Science of Self Volume 1 ISBN 978-1935721673
- Black God: A Brief History of the World's Religions and Their Black Gods ISBN 978-1935721123
- La Brega - Como Sobrevir en el Barrio
- Understanding, Supreme. "About Supreme". Dr. Supreme Understanding. Retrieved 28 July 2019.
- "Supreme Understanding - The Urban Book Source - Voice of Urban Literature". Retrieved 20 April 2016.
- "FinalCall.com News". Retrieved 20 April 2016.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-09-22. Retrieved 2011-12-27.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Understanding, Supreme. "Supreme Understanding Curriculum Vitae Abridged". Dr. Supreme Understanding. Retrieved 28 July 2019.
- Kam Williams (30 March 2011). "Hood Health Handbook Book Review". NewsBlaze News. Retrieved 20 April 2016.