Superman ice cream
Superman ice cream is an ice cream that comes as a swirl of three colors: blue, red, and yellow, the three colors of Superman's costume. The name of the ice cream comes from the colors of the comic book superhero Superman, though it is not licensed through DC Comics.
|Place of origin||Michigan|
Some will argue the popular Midwest flavor originated in Detroit-based ice cream shop Stroh's, though the exact origin remains elusive. Another Michigan dairy House of Flavors in Ludington makes their Superman ice cream with their signature Blue Moon, cherry, and lemon ice creams. The flavor has been spotted in other Midwest locales, such as Chocolate Shoppe Ice Cream Company in Madison, Wisconsin, United Dairy Farmers in Cincinnati, OH, and Pierre's Ice Cream Company in Cleveland, Ohio
Thus the exact combination varies from location to location, typically with vanilla, Blue Moon, and some other variety of ice cream included. The Stroh's Ice Cream version has Blue Moon, red pop, and lemon ice creams, while other versions such as those by the Meijer store brand ("Scooperman") and the Hudsonville Creamery & Ice Cream Company ("SuperScoop") versions of Superman ice cream are a mixture of vanilla, Blue Moon, and black cherry ice creams.
Scooper's Ice Cream Treats in Stratford, Ontario, Canada sells a similar blue, red, and yellow variety but calls it "Super Hero" ice cream. Laura Secord Chocolates also sells a similar variety of ice cream, called "SuperKid," made with banana, blueberry and strawberry flavors.
In Australia, "Rainbow" ice cream is sold with the same or similar colour schemes, but unlike Superman ice cream, it is usually simply one flavour, often caramel, that has been made with different colours.
- "Superman Ice Cream: 'A Michigan Thing'". The Mitten. July 6, 2009. Archived from the original on February 26, 2015.
- "Superman Ice Cream Is a Distinctly Midwestern Treat". Atlas Obscura. Retrieved 2020-10-23.
- "Super Moo". UDF. Retrieved 2020-04-28.
- "Stroh's Mooney's Ice Cream". Washtenaw Dairy. n.d. Archived from the original on July 27, 2014.
- "Purple Cow Fly Thru The Sky Scooperman". Meijer. n.d.
- "SuperScoop". Hudsonville Creamery & Ice Cream Company. n.d. Archived from the original on March 24, 2015.
- "SuperKid". Laura Secord Chocolates. n.d. Archived from the original on December 7, 2013.