Super Nintendo World
Super Nintendo World is a planned theme park area under construction at Universal Studios Japan themed after notable franchises from Nintendo, such as Super Mario. First announced in May 2015, construction began in June 2017 and is planned for completion in time for Tokyo's 2020 Summer Olympics. Versions of the themed land are also proposed for other Universal Studios theme parks around the world.
|Universal Studios Japan|
Following several years of declining gaming revenue and console market share, Nintendo sought avenues to leverage and develop its intellectual properties, and so entered a theme park partnership with Universal Parks & Resorts. The partnership, first announced in May 2015 and detailed the next year, would use Mario and other Nintendo franchises as themes in dedicated areas of Universal theme parks. The ¥40 billion ($351 million U.S.) collaboration built for Universal Studios Japan in Osaka is similar in scale to Universal's investment in the Harry Potter franchise.
Construction on the initial theme park land in Osaka began in June 2017 with a groundbreaking ceremony and is planned for completion in time for Tokyo's 2020 Summer Olympics. One ride will be themed on the Mario Kart series. The firm expects to eventually expand to Universal's Hollywood, Orlando, and Singapore parks, but no timeframe has been announced.
- Villas-Boas, Antonio (May 7, 2015). "Nintendo's huge new deal with Universal shows just how far it'll go to turn the ship around". Business Insider. Archived from the original on December 12, 2016. Retrieved December 12, 2016.
- Pallotta, Frank (May 7, 2015). "Nintendo and Universal power up for theme park attractions". CNN. Archived from the original on May 18, 2017. Retrieved December 12, 2016.
- Ashcraft, Brian (March 5, 2016). "First Details on Nintendo's Universal Studios Collaboration". Kotaku. Archived from the original on December 12, 2016. Retrieved December 12, 2016.
- McWhertor, Michael (December 12, 2016). "Nintendo's first Universal Studios park attraction is called Super Nintendo World". Polygon. Archived from the original on December 12, 2016. Retrieved December 12, 2016.
- Frank, Allegra (June 8, 2017). "Super Nintendo World's groundbreaking ceremony is weird and wonderful". Polygon. Archived from the original on June 9, 2017. Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- Kim, Matt (June 8, 2017). "The Trailer for Universal's Super Nintendo World Continues to Raise Serious Questions About Mario". USgamer. Archived from the original on June 9, 2017. Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- Mohan, Matthew (April 3, 2019). "Singapore's two integrated resorts set to grow with S$9 billion investment plan". CNA. Retrieved April 3, 2019.
- Radulovic, Petrana (July 8, 2019). "Everything we know about Super Nintendo World". Polygon. Retrieved July 9, 2019.