Suomussalmi (Finnish: [ˈs̠uo̞̯mus̠ˌs̠ɑlmi]) is a municipality in Finland and is located in the Kainuu region. The municipality has a population of 7,595 (31 December 2020) and covers an area of 5,857.60 square kilometres (2,261.63 sq mi) of which 587.03 km2 (226.65 sq mi) is water. The population density is 1.44 inhabitants per square kilometre (3.7/sq mi). The municipality is unilingually Finnish. Ämmänsaari is the biggest built-up area in the municipality.
An aerial view of Ämmänsaari, an administrative center of Suomussalmi
Location of Suomussalmi in Finland
|• Municipal manager||Erno Heikkinen|
|• Total||5,857.60 km2 (2,261.63 sq mi)|
|• Land||5,270.56 km2 (2,034.97 sq mi)|
|• Water||587.03 km2 (226.65 sq mi)|
|Area rank||9th largest in Finland|
|• Rank||129th largest in Finland|
|• Density||1.44/km2 (3.7/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||98.7% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||12.7%|
|• 15 to 64||63%|
|• 65 or older||24.3%|
|Time zone||UTC+02:00 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+03:00 (EEST)|
|Municipal tax rate||19.5%|
Suomussalmi is the second southernmost part of the reindeer-herding area in Finland.
During the Winter War of 1939–40, several battles were fought in the area around Suomussalmi, the most important ones being the Battle of Suomussalmi and the Battle of Raate. In these battles Finnish forces defeated numerically superior Soviet forces.
Suomussalmi hosted the 2016 World Berry Picking Championship.
Results of the 2011 Finnish parliamentary election in Suomussalmi:
Twin towns — Sister citiesEdit
Suomussalmi is twinned with:
- "Area of Finnish Municipalities 1.1.2018" (PDF). National Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- "Suomen virallinen tilasto (SVT): Väestön ennakkotilasto [verkkojulkaisu]. Joulukuu 2020" (in Finnish). Statistics Finland. Retrieved 11 February 2021.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- Ask the expert - Heikki Kovalainen Formula1.com
- C.G. (11 October 2017). "Explaining the Finnish love of tango". The Economist.
Media related to Suomussalmi at Wikimedia Commons
- Municipality of Suomussalmi – Official website
|This Oulu Province location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|