Sunset Speedway is a .25-mile (0.40 km), dirt oval track in Banks in the U.S. state of Oregon. Opened in 1986, races are held from April through September. Racing classes include IMCA Modifieds, Northwest Wingless Tour Sprints, Street Stocks, NW Extreme Sprints, NW Extreme Late Models, USAC Midgets, WRS Late Model Lites, ASCS Sprints, Dwarfs, and 4-Bees among others.
Entrance in 2014
After a dispute with organizers of the Washington County Fair, a track was established at Banks' Sunset Park in 1986. The next year the track added bleachers for use during both races and demolition derbies. In the past the track has also been used for tractor pulls and combine demolition derbies. Mike McCann bought the track in July 1997, and over the next year added bleachers and converted the track to a clay surface.
In 2004, long-time racer Doug Walters purchased 40% of the track from McCann, and the two began to make more improvements such as permanent restrooms and better concession stands. The city council then questioned some of those improvements the next year as no permits had been obtained for the work. Owner Doug Walters died in 2008. A commercial for Intel was filmed at the speedway in July 2013 featuring monster trucks.
- Lennon, Clare (April 19, 2014). "Sunset Speedway in Banks brings family-friendly atmosphere to auto racing". The Oregonian. Retrieved 20 April 2014.
- Lennon, Clare (April 16, 2014). "Sunset Speedway in Banks will open for season of weekly auto racing". The Oregonian. Retrieved 20 April 2014.
- Boyd, Thomas (July 7, 2011). "Sunset Speedway in Banks, Oregon is fun for both car racing fans and families looking for summer entertainment". The Oregonian. Retrieved 20 April 2014.
- Russell, Chuck (June 18, 1987). "Cornelius man helps derby drivers set up independent track, season". The Oregonian. p. 19.
- Boone, Jerry (August 18, 2004). "Riding for the glory of bragging rights". The Oregonian. p. B1.
- Mitchell, Jann (August 17, 1984). "City barbeque, contest hope to pull in a crowd". The Oregonian. p. 86.
- Boone, Jerry F. (July 16, 1998). "Racers, Sprint cars rev on in to Banks Sunset Speedway". The Oregonian. p. Portland Zoner 8.
- Boone, Jerry F. (August 26, 2004). "Pair hope race track will be a top venue". The Oregonian. p. South Zoner 1.
- Anderson, David R. (March 31, 2005). "Banks reviews track work done without permits". The Oregonian. p. C2.
- Danks, Holly (September 3, 2008). "Sunset Speedway owner was big-hearted man". The Oregonian. Retrieved 20 April 2014.
- Castillo, Andrea (July 11, 2013). "Intel commercial featuring monster truck filmed at Sunset Speedway Park in Banks". The Oregonian. Retrieved 20 April 2014.
- Castillo, Andrea (September 5, 2013). "Intel releases commercial featuring monster truck filmed in Banks". The Oregonian. Retrieved 20 April 2014.