|The Honourable the Chief Justice
Sundaresh Menon at an event in the Arts House at the Old Parliament in July 2016
|4th Chief Justice of Singapore|
6 November 2012
|Prime Minister||Lee Hsien Loong|
|Preceded by||Chan Sek Keong|
|Judge of Appeal of the Supreme Court of Singapore|
1 August 2012 – 5 November 2012
|Attorney-General of Singapore|
1 October 2010 – 25 June 2012
|Preceded by||Walter Woon,
Koh Juat Jong (acting)
|Succeeded by||Steven Chong|
3 April 2006 – 2 April 2007
|Born||1962 (age 54–55)
Colony of Singapore
|Alma mater||National University of Singapore
Early life and educationEdit
Menon graduated with a Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.) with first class honours from the Faculty of Law of the National University of Singapore in 1986, and obtained a Master of Laws (LL.M.) from Harvard Law School in 1991.
Menon served a one-year term as a Judicial Commissioner of the Supreme Court of Singapore from April 2006 to March 2007. Returning to legal practice after this, he was appointed a Senior Counsel on 5 January 2008, and became the managing partner of the law firm Rajah & Tann in August 2009.
Menon assumed the position of Attorney-General between 1 October 2010 and 25 June 2012. He has also served as the Deputy Chairman of the Singapore International Arbitration Centre, a member of the Senate of the Singapore Academy of Law, and Chairman of the Advisory Board for the School of Law of Singapore Management University.
Menon was appointed a Judge of Appeal of the Court of Appeal with effect from 1 August 2012. On 6 November 2012, he took office as Singapore's fourth Chief Justice. He is the first non-Chinese Chief Justice of the Republic of Singapore and also the first Singaporean-born Chief Justice.
- "CatholicNews". catholicnews.sg. Retrieved 2017-03-05.
- NUS Faculty of Law Congratulates our Alumni Sundaresh Menon, SC '86 on His Appointment as Attorney-General of Singapore, Faculty of Law, National University of Singapore, 4 March 2010, archived from the original on 27 July 2010.
- Advisory Board Member: Mr Sundaresh MENON, SC, School of Law, Singapore Management University, 18 October 2010, archived from the original on 2 April 2011.
- Senior Counsel Directory, Singapore Academy of Law, archived from the original on 30 March 2010, retrieved 30 March 2010.
- Attorneys-General of Singapore, Attorney-General's Chambers, 26 November 2015, archived from the original on 9 November 2015.
- Management Details: Mr Sundaresh Menon, S.C. Attorney-General, Attorney-General's Chambers, 24 January 2011, archived from the original on 17 February 2012.
- K.C. Vijayan (1 June 2012), "Changes in Appeal Court, A-G Chambers", The Straits Times, p. A1; Teo Xuanwei (1 June 2012), "A-G to be appointed appeal judge: As Justice Steven Chong succeeds Mr Sundaresh Menon, lawyers are divided over implications of shorter tenures", Today, p. 2, archived from the original on 2 June 2012; Appointment of Mr Sundaresh Menon, S.C. as Judge of Appeal: Fact Sheet (PDF), Attorney-General's Chambers, 31 May 2012, archived from the original (PDF) on 7 August 2012; Sundaresh Menon to be Judge of Appeal, Channel NewsAsia, retrieved 29 August 2012.
- Tham Yuen-C (30 August 2012), "Sundaresh Menon to be new Chief Justice", The Straits Times, p. 1; Teo Xuanwei (30 August 2012), "Sundaresh Menon is new Chief Justice", Today, pp. 1 & 4, archived from the original on 31 August 2012; Sundaresh Menon sworn in as new Chief Justice, Channel NewsAsia, 7 November 2012, retrieved 9 November 2012.
Chan Sek Keong
|Chief Justice of Singapore