Vinayagar Sundar Vel (born 21 January 1968), known professionaly as Sundar C., is an Indian film director, actor and producer. He has directed over 34 films in Tamil and acted in over Seventeen movies as the protagonist.
Vinayagar Sundar Vel
21 January 1968
His notable films include Ullathai Allitha (1996), Arunachalam (1997), Anbe Sivam (2003), Winner (2003), Giri (2004), Kalakalappu (2012), Theeya Velai Seiyyanum Kumaru (2013), Aranmanai (2014), Aambala (2015) and Kalakalappu 2 (2018).
He took a short break from direction, after his initial launch as an actor in 2006, with the film Thalai Nagaram, which became a commercial success. He returned to direction with his trade mark comedy roller coaster in the movie Kalakalappu in 2012 and it went on to become a success.
His successful career as a director continued with the 2014 Aranmanai film series.
He also produced the TV series Nandini (2017-2018), along with his wife ( the actress Khushbu) aired on Sun TV. He also produced movies like Hello Naan Pei Pesuren (2016), Meesaya Murukku (2017), Natpe Thunai (2019), Naan Sirithal (2020) and Naanga Romba Busy (2020).
Sundar C started his career as an assistant director to Manivannan and made his directorial debut with the movie Murai Maman (1995). Sundar revealed that he initially wanted a leading action hero to play the lead role in his film and approached Sarathkumar, but the producer was unable to sign the actor. Subsequently, the director chose Jayaram to play the lead role in the film and also said that he tapped into his innate sense of humour, as Jayaram was very famous for his humour in Malayalam. Murai Maman did well at the box office and Sundar went on to direct many humour themed films such as Ullathai Allitha (1996), Mettukudi (1996) and Unakkaga Ellam Unakkaga (1999) with Karthik. In 1997, he directed his highest-profile project till date, Arunachalam, with Rajinikanth. He has also occasionally directed action and thriller films such as Unnai Kann Theduthey (2000), Rishi (2001) and Chinna (2005). His favourite heroine was actress Rambha; as a Director he made her as his lead heroine in his 6 movies.
In the late 1990s, Sundar C had a brief career slump, where several of his films became stuck or did not have a theatrical release. Projects including collaborations with Karthik in Athai Magan featuring Ramya Krishnan, Kadhal Solla Vanthen featuring Isha Koppikar, and Vaazhkkai Vaazhvatharkke were affected. Likewise, a proposed projects titled Paarvai with Jayaram and Khushbu, was also shelved.
In 2003, he directed two films Anbe Sivam and Winner. Winner was successful and the comedy scenes from that film became hugely popular. However, Anbe Sivam, despite being critically acclaimed, under performed at the box office, but became a cult classic. Anbe Sivam remains his only humane realism movie till today out of his regular commercial cinema genre. After directing Rendu (2006), Sundar took a break from directing in order to concentrate on his acting career. He made his acting debut as lead actor with Thalai Nagaram (2006), which was well received. Then he went on to play lead roles with the commercially successful Veerappu (2007), directed by Badri and Sandai (2008) by Sakthi Chidambaram. He then made a comeback as a director with Nagaram Marupakkam (2010).
After his blockbuster hit Kalakalappu in 2012, he is continuously giving successful movies like Theeya Velai Seiyyanum Kumaru (2013), Aranmanai (2014), Aranmanai 2 (2016) and Kalakalappu 2 (2018). He acted in lead role in the horror thriller, Iruttu (2019) directed by V. Z. Durai. The film was released to positive reviews. And directed Vishal's film, Action (2019). His next release as a director and actor is Aranmanai 3, produced by Avni Cinemax , with his own production house. The film makes highly positive reviews from critics and becomes a Hat-trick hit of his Aranmanai series. And he also signed a new films as an lead actor in an untitled film with Kattappava Kanom fame Mani Seiyon, and Thalai Nagaram 2 with V. Z. Durai. A sequel to the successful film Thalai Nagaram (2006).
As an ActorEdit
|1990||Vaazhkai Chakkaram||Constable||Cameo appearance|||
|1995||Murai Maman||Panchayat villager||Cameo appearance|||
|2006||Thalai Nagaram||Subramaniam (Right)||Lead debut|||
|Aayudham Seivom||Saidai Sathya|||
|Thee||ACP Sarathy (Samy)|||
|2014||Ninaithathu Yaaro||Himself||Cameo appearance|||
|2022||Untitled Mani Seiyon film with Tanya Hope||TBA||Filming|||
|Thalai Nagaram 2||TBA||Filming|||
As a director and writerEdit
|1997||Arunachalam||N||Won, Tamil Nadu State Film Award for Best Film|
|1998||Naam Iruvar Namakku Iruvar|
|Suyamvaram||N||Directed by fourteen directors|
|Unakkaga Ellam Unakkaga|
|Unnai Kann Theduthey|
|2001||Ullam Kollai Poguthae|
|Thaka Thimi Tha||N|
|2012||Kalakalappu||25th Film as a director; also narrator|
|Madha Gaja Raja||Unreleased|
|2013||Theeya Velai Seiyyanum Kumaru||Released in Telugu as Something Something|
|2014||Aranmanai||Nominated, Vijay Award for Favourite Director|
|2019||Vantha Rajavathaan Varuven||N|
|2022||Untitled film with Jiiva and Raashi Khanna||Announced|
As a SingerEdit
|2008||Sandai||"Vaadee En Kappakezhungu"||Dhina|
|2010||Guru Sishyan||"Subbaiyaa Subbaiyaa"||Sung with Sathyaraj|
As a ProducerEdit
|2016||Hello Naan Pei Pesuren||Vaibhav Reddy, Aishwarya Rajesh, Oviya, Karunakaran||S. Bhaskar|
|2017||Meesaya Murukku||Hip Hop Adhi, Aathmika, Vivek, Vigneshganth||Hip Hop Adhi|
|2019||Natpe Thunai||Hip Hop Adhi, Anagha, Karu Pazhaniyappan, Harish Uthaman||Desingu Parthiban|
|2020||Naan Sirithal||Hip Hop Adhi, Iswarya Menon, K. S. Ravikumar, Sha Ra||Raana|
|Naanga Romba Busy||Ashwin Kakumanu, Rittika Sen, Prasanna, Yogi Babu||Badri|
|2021||Aranmanai 3 (Co Producer)||Arya, Raashi Khanna, Vivek, Sakshi Agarwal||Sundar C|
|2022||Pattamboochi||Jai , Sundar C, Honeyrose||Badri|
- "instagram". Retrieved 7 December 2019.
- "Heroines who fell for their directors". The Times of India. Retrieved 5 August 2021.
- "Sundar C. is on a roll". The Hindu. Chennai, India. 2 October 2007. Archived from the original on 29 October 2007. Retrieved 8 May 2010.
- "Hat trick?". The Hindu. Chennai, India. 28 March 2008. Archived from the original on 1 April 2008.
- BehindwoodsTV (18 September 2015). "Sundar C - "Rajini said NO to that song!" - BOFTA Masterclass - BW" – via YouTube.
- "UNNAI KANN THEDUTHEY : A movie review by Balaji Balasubramaniam". Bbthots.com. Retrieved 23 August 2017.
- "Chinna review. Chinna Tamil movie review, story, rating". IndiaGlitz.com. Retrieved 23 August 2017.
- "dinakaran". 16 November 2004. Archived from the original on 16 November 2004.
- "dinakaran". 23 November 2004. Archived from the original on 23 November 2004.
- "Anbe Sivam". The Hindu. Archived from the original on 2 March 2003. Retrieved 23 August 2017.
- "Iruttu review: An engaging horror thriller". Sify. Retrieved 13 October 2020.
- "Action (aka) Actionn review". Behindwoods. 15 November 2019. Retrieved 13 October 2020.
- அக் 18, பதிவு செய்த நாள்; 2021. "விமர்சனங்களை மீறி வசூலிக்கும் 'அரண்மனை 3'". Dinamalar (in Tamil). Retrieved 19 October 2021.CS1 maint: numeric names: authors list (link)
- "Sundar C's next with 'Kattapava Kaanom' director - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 24 July 2021.
- "Sundar C begins shooting for 'Thalainagaram 2'!". Sify. Retrieved 29 September 2021.
- "Vazhkai Chakkaram". Spicyonion.com. Retrieved 9 February 2020.
- "Murai Maman Tamil Movie - Critic Review". Moviecrow.com. Retrieved 23 August 2017.
- "Arunachalam Tamil Movie, Wiki, Story, Review, Release Date, Trailers". FilmiBeat.com. Retrieved 23 August 2017.
- "Movie Review : Thalainagaram". Sify.com. Archived from the original on 30 September 2013. Retrieved 23 September 2013.
- "Veerappu Review". Behindwoods.com. 26 November 2006. Retrieved 23 September 2013.
- "Review: Sandai is illogical". Rediff.com. 24 March 2008. Retrieved 23 September 2013.
- "Aayudham Seivom Tamil Movie Review". IndiaGlitz.com. 30 June 2008. Retrieved 23 September 2013.
- "Perumal Movie Review". Behindwoods.com. Retrieved 23 September 2013.
- "Movie Review : Review -Thee". Sify.com. Archived from the original on 3 October 2013. Retrieved 23 September 2013.
- "Aindham Padai is below average". Rediff.com. 27 July 2009. Retrieved 23 September 2013.
- "Cinema Plus / Film Review : Viewer's woes – Guru Sishyan". The Hindu. Chennai, India. 14 May 2010. Archived from the original on 18 May 2010. Retrieved 23 September 2013.
- "What's special in 'Vaada'?". IndiaGlitz.com. 3 April 2010. Retrieved 23 September 2013.
- "Nagaram Marupakkam Review – Tamil Movie Review by V.S. Rajapur". Nowrunning.com. 20 November 2010. Retrieved 23 September 2013.
- "Movie Review : Murattu Kaalai". Sify.com. Archived from the original on 3 October 2013. Retrieved 23 September 2013.
- "Ninaithathu Yaro Movie Reviews, Stills & Wallpapers - Sulekha Movies". Movies.suleka.com. Retrieved 23 August 2017.
- "Aranmanai (2014)". IMDb.com. 19 September 2014. Retrieved 23 August 2017.
- "Aranmanai 2". Cineplex.com. Retrieved 23 August 2017.
- "Muthina Kathirikai review. Muthina Kathirikai Tamil movie review, story, rating". IndiaGlitz.com. Retrieved 23 August 2017.
- Subramanian, Anupama (16 November 2019). "Action review: This Vishal film is strictly for Action Lovers". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 13 October 2020.
- "Iruttu (2019) - Review, Star Cast, News, Photos". Cinestaan. Retrieved 13 October 2020.
- Bureau, N. T. (18 January 2020). "Sundar C gets ready for Aranmanai 3". News Today | First with the news. Retrieved 31 May 2021.
- "Sundar C, Jai team up for Pattampoochi". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 13 November 2021.
- Dundoo, Sangeetha Devi (14 June 2013). "Something Something: Drama of the absurd". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 19 September 2021.
- MumbaiSeptember 15, Ramya Palisetty; September 15, 2021UPDATED; Ist, 2021 18:32. "Arya and Raashi Khanna's Aranmanai 3 to release in theatres on October 14". India Today. Retrieved 19 September 2021.CS1 maint: numeric names: authors list (link)
- "Jiiva and Raashi Khanna in Sundar C's next film - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 4 November 2021.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sundar C..|