Sunbury railway station, Melbourne
Sunbury railway station is located on the Bendigo line, in Victoria, Australia. It serves the north-western Melbourne suburb of Sunbury, and opened on 10 February 1859. It is the terminus station for Metro Trains Sunbury line services from Flinders Street, and is also served by V/Line services to Bendigo and Echuca.
Northbound view from Platform 1 in November 2012
|Location||Brook Street, Sunbury
|Distance||38.28 kilometres from Southern Cross|
|Fare zone||Myki zone 2|
|Website||Public Transport Victoria|
|Opened||10 February 1859|
Sunbury station opened on 10 February 1859, as a terminus, with the line not extended north for two more years. The three track yard dates back from this time, and was unique in Victoria. There was a large goods shed on its southern side, a large silo on its northern side, as well as sheep/cattle ramp and yards. There was also housing for railway staff, including two houses in Horne Street, and the Station Master's house in Brook Street, all demolished in the 1980s.
Proper interlocking of the signals and point work did not exist until 1981, and the station was not fully interlocked until 1998, when a Solid State Interlocking was provided. The layout of the station was again altered, as part of the Regional Fast Rail project, in 2005.
Despite residents of Sunbury voting against the electrification works, due to well founded fears of uncomfortable travel and longer travel times, on 18 November 2012, the station was added to the metropolitan network, when the line from Watergardens was electrified. The station was also upgraded, as part of these works. Electrification to Sunbury was first proposed in the 1970s, along with a new station north of the township, along the Sunbury bank, north of the Jackson Creek bridge, to serve the Goonawarra housing estate. However, after a drop in population estimates, the idea was abandoned.
Platforms and servicesEdit
- Sunbury line: terminating services to & from Flinders Street
- Bendigo & Echuca lines: V/Line services to and from Southern Cross
Sunbury Bus Service operates seven routes to and from Sunbury station:
- 481: to Mount Lion
- 483: to Moonee Ponds Junction
- 485: to Wilsons Lane
- 486: to Rolling Meadows
- 487: to Killara Heights
- 488: to Jacksons Hill
- 489: to Canterbury Hills
Tullamarine Bus Lines operates one route to and from Sunbury station:
- Sunbury Vicsig
- "Sunbury Electrification Overview". Victorian State Government Department of Transport. Retrieved 1 January 2013.
- "Sunbury Electrification Station Improvements". Victorian State Government Department of Transport. Retrieved 25 June 2011.
- "Traffic". Newsrail. Australian Railway Historical Society. April 1978. p. 64.
- Sunbury Line timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Bendigo - Melbourne timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Echuca/Moama - Melbourne timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 481 Sunbury - Mount Lion timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 483 Sunbury - Moonee Ponds timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 485 Sunbury Railway Station - Wilsons Lane timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 486 Sunbury Railway Station - Rolling Meadows timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 487 Sunbury Railway Station - Killara Heights timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 488 Sunbury Railway Station - Jacksons Hill timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 489 Sunbury Railway Station - Canterbury Hills timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 479 Airport West SC - Sunbury Station timetable Public Transport Victoria